Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Russians

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    So they're exactly like New Yorkers, Good 'Ol Boy southerners, or Primos down here in Norte Mexico?
    I wouldn't say that, with the exception that I don't know what a primo is so I can't really comment.

Having travelled to every continent on the globe and worked closely with locals on each of them and made friends of varying degrees, I don't find the overall attitude that "people are the same everywhere" to be an entirely accurate statement, either, unless what we're talking about here is a realization of Maslow's hierarchy. As enjoyable and rewarding as it is to build intercultural relations, I think people make a mountain out of a mole-hill when they share a pleasant conversation with someone, exchange a smile, or find some other similarities. I think if a rural American sat down for a conversation with a Pashtun tribesman and was able to put aside their mostly incorrect preconceived notions formed by western media, you'd find some surprisingly interesting cross-overs, but that doesn't mean we're the same.

I just see this "people are the same everywhere" kumbaya boner-fest bullshit as the opposite end of the spectrum of making certain races out to be sub-human, but essentially the same thing. The truth is more in the middle. No, Africans aren't monkeys, the Huns aren't blood thirsty savages with eyes that glow red, and the Japanese and Chinese aren't barely-sentient creatures.....but neither does that mean we're all the same everywhere, and I think you'll find that mindset common among the non-rookie members of international organizations that many of the rural/conservative/libertarian members of this forum who've barely been overseas themselves frequently refer to as lib-tard special snowflakes with their heads in the clouds, etc.

If I'm taking the "we're all the same everywhere" thing out of context or for more than what it's meant to impart, that's possible too.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

So they're exactly like New Yorkers, Good 'Ol Boy southerners, or Primos down here in Norte Mexico?
    You called it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

So they're exactly like New Yorkers
    Not exactly. That said, judging a general Russian character by an exposure to Moscowites will have the same limitations as making an opinion of Americans or French solely by the experiences with New Yorkers and Parisiens.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    During a recent podcast (Rogan?) Ed Calderon described rural Kentucky as American Mexico.
    As in drugs and crime or because of culture rich?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    As in drugs and crime or because of culture rich?
    Redneckism, horse ranches, not much middle class, drugs, crime ...

Site Supporter
    During a recent podcast (Rogan?) Ed Calderon described rural Kentucky as American Mexico.
    If you’ve ever had the experience of explaining in spanish why it was scientifically impossible that the village puta was impregnated by and had a human-dog hybrid baby. Or heard the story about when dad used ddt on the dog because it had fleas, but ended up killing the dog and making the whole family sick go ahead and hit that like button.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Redneckism, horse ranches, not much middle class, drugs, crime ...
    Ok I understand. I have some pretty good stories about working in the eastern mountain region and a particularly pot famous county not far from me but takes too long to type out. But ya absolutley there are plenty of places you want to tread with caution.

One story, wen I was working in Eastern mountain range I was getting ready to head back to my area and when I started up my truck apparently a screw came out of the carburetor and went through the intake bending a few pushrods, left the indentation stamped into a couple of the pistons which fortunately didnt break. Anyway I came back the following week and a mechanic there had the parts I needed. So we start pulling the head and just talking turns out hes a Sunday School teacher. I was pretty relieved at this point cause I had met quite a few fellas down there who could be dangerous to your health. Anyway as the day went on I mentioned to him how many people I had met who had shot people or just got out of prison. He paused a bit snd said ya I hated it I had to shoot that guy. At this point I just shut up. Anyway he went on to explain that he came home on time and his wife had moved another man into the house. So he had to go to the next holler over borrow a gun and come back and shoot him. True story 😁
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Ok I understand. I have some pretty good stories about working in the eastern mountain region and a particularly pot famous county not far from me but takes too long to type out. But ya absolutley there are plenty of places you want to tread with caution.

One story, wen I was working in Eastern mountain range I was getting ready to head back to my area and when I started up my truck apparently a screw came out of the carburetor and went through the intake bending a few pushrods, left the indentation stamped into a couple of the pistons which fortunately didnt break. Anyway I came back the following week and a mechanic there had the parts I needed. So we start pulling the head and just talking turns out hes a Sunday School teacher. I was pretty relieved at this point cause I had met quite a few fellas down there who could be dangerous to your health. Anyway as the day went on I mentioned to him how many people I had met who had shot people or just got out of prison. He paused a bit snd said ya I hated it I had to shoot that guy. At this point I just shut up. Anyway he went on to explain that he came home on time and his wife had moved another man into the house. So he had to go to the next holler over borrow a gun and come back and shoot him. True story 😁
    Must've been Justified.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Must've been Justified.
    I kind of miss that series.

"Don't mess with my draw".
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I wouldn't say that, with the exception that I don't know what a primo is so I can't really comment.

Having travelled to every continent on the globe and worked closely with locals on each of them and made friends of varying degrees, I don't find the overall attitude that "people are the same everywhere" to be an entirely accurate statement, either, unless what we're talking about here is a realization of Maslow's hierarchy. As enjoyable and rewarding as it is to build intercultural relations, I think people make a mountain out of a mole-hill when they share a pleasant conversation with someone, exchange a smile, or find some other similarities. I think if a rural American sat down for a conversation with a Pashtun tribesman and was able to put aside their mostly incorrect preconceived notions formed by western media, you'd find some surprisingly interesting cross-overs, but that doesn't mean we're the same.

I just see this "people are the same everywhere" kumbaya boner-fest bullshit as the opposite end of the spectrum of making certain races out to be sub-human, but essentially the same thing. The truth is more in the middle. No, Africans aren't monkeys, the Huns aren't blood thirsty savages with eyes that glow red, and the Japanese and Chinese aren't barely-sentient creatures.....but neither does that mean we're all the same everywhere, and I think you'll find that mindset common among the non-rookie members of international organizations that many of the rural/conservative/libertarian members of this forum who've barely been overseas themselves frequently refer to as lib-tard special snowflakes with their heads in the clouds, etc.

If I'm taking the "we're all the same everywhere" thing out of context or for more than what it's meant to impart, that's possible too.
    I think you may indeed be taking it too literally. Obviously, people are individuals and cultures vary. But in my direct life experience, people I met and lived with in urban and rural Russia, Ukraine, Germany, Thailand, Israel, and Costa Rica have a lot more in common than you'd think.

User Tag List