Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russians

Russians

I've been watching several YouTube channels based around rural Russia and how the average Russian family lives and plays.
    I'm pretty sure that if you dropped me off in some middle of nowhere small Russian village I'd fit right in with those crazy Ivans.
    I'm not much of a drinker or smoker (which seems to be their national pastime) but pretty much everything else is a mirror image of the backcountry rural USA I love.
    Russians have definitely earned the title of "worlds craziest white people".
    Go to work, take care of your family, dislike your government, do a lot of outdoors stuff, play hard.
    I think if we both lynched our respective governments we'd all get along great.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Regular people are more similar than different the world over... Leave us alone to take care of our families and enjoy our lives as best we can and the rest is just details.

"You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Yeah. Scenery changes but people are mostly the same. Especially beyond the artifice of big cities.

I'm getting pointlessly nostalgic in my middle age and following a few you tubers from my generation, broadcasting from the "motherland". "Ushanka Show" is one of the better ones. He's Ukranian, but close enough.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I appreciate this post.

My father was from Russia (The Crimea and NEVER considered himself Ukrainian). He loved America and its freedoms and hated Communists with passion, but was culturally Russian till the day he died.

My Mother was from Oklahoma - as American as you could get - half German, half Dutch, and 1/1024th Cherokee Indian.

I grew up the product of two cultures that have been at odds with each other but ironically share much in common.

In my experience it’s rarely the people of another nation we have issue with. It’s the governments and frequently the people of those “enemy” countries dislike their government as much if not more than we do. Politics ruins damn near everything.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Regular people are more similar than different the world over... Leave us alone to take care of our families and enjoy our lives as best we can and the rest is just details.
    During a recent podcast (Rogan?) Ed Calderon described rural Kentucky as American Mexico.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    In my experience it’s rarely the people of another nation we have issue with. It’s the governments and frequently the people of those “enemy” countries dislike their government as much if not more than we do. Politics ruins damn near everything.
    Having briefly lived there and knowing more than a few, this is not my experience with western Europeans.

I've been around a lot of Russian people during my life and enjoyed every minute. Not all of them are crazy, only the one I dated
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'm not much of a drinker or smoker
    You would have to become one. It is hard to imagine how little content to life there is in rural Russia. They aren't starving like people in Africa or live without much sanitation like in parts of India, but average male life expectancy of 66 years should tell something.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List