Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 384: F.A.S.T.

Week 384: F.A.S.T.

Week 384: F.A.S.T.

Results may be posted until September 7th, 2020.

Designed by: Todd Louis Green
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: 8" circle and 3x5 card (see http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...ast-target.pdf for a downloadable target; this target must be printed on an 8.5x14 "legal" sheet of paper)
    Start position: concealed, hands relaxed at sides (see below for alternatives)
    Rounds fired: 6 per run

Pistol begins with exactly two rounds in the gun. Draw should be from underneath legitimate concealment (see below for alternatives). Arms must be relaxed with hands at your sides (not on the gun).

1. On the buzzer, draw and fire two rounds at the 3x5 card.
    2. Reload from slidelock/empty gun.
    3. Fire four rounds to the 8" circle.

Do not fire extra rounds. Shots intended for the 3x5 that hit the 8", or vice versa, count as misses.

Scoring is as follows:

Total time + 2s penalty for each 3x5 shot missed, + 1s penalty for each 8" shot missed.

The FAST is intended to be shot from legitimate concealment or with a duty/retention holster. Even when shot with a duty holster, start position is arms at sides (not "interview" stance). Score is modified as follows based on carry method:

Concealed: no penalty.

Retention holster with closed (snap or velcro) mag pouches: 0.5 second bonus (subtraction) per 6-shot run.

Retention holster with open top mag pouches: no penalty or bonus.

ALS, SERPA, or Thumb Drive (or similar) holster without concealment: 0.5 second penalty (addition) per 6-shot run.

Open top holster without concealment: 3 second penalty (addition) per 6-shot run.

If your range does not allow drawing from a holster, begin with the gun on a table with no round in the chamber (two in the magazine). On the start signal, pick up the gun, rack the slide, and shoot the drill. Reload from underneath concealment.

As an additional scoring twist in keeping with TLG’s overriding priority of consistency of performance, let’s see how many consecutive times we can shoot it clean! If your first run is clean (no points down/no penalty time added), you can shoot a second run. If your second run is clean, you can shoot a third run, and so on.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Gun used
    Starting position (concealed, duty, open holster, or table start)
    Type of holster (if applicable)
    Time and hits for each run
    How many clean runs you were able to shoot consecutively
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Glock 44
    Generic AIWB kydex holster with claw
    Tshirt cover garment
    5.89s is the fastest I’ve ever ran this test (it is just a .22 though)Name:  D8B5CE6B-5936-4CD4-8498-A7A0165C80FC.jpeg
Views: 550
Size:  78.0 KB
    I tried it twice with my G48 afterwards but couldn’t run it clean

5" m2.0 with 1.0 core upper and holosun 407 v2
    Dark Star Gear Orion with dcc clips
    button down shirt for concealment

consecutive clean runs - 4

1. 7.77 clean 2.02 draw 3.35 reload (fumbled draw and went for aiwb reload but was carrying owb reload at 9)
    2. 6.13 clean 1.83 draw 2.49 reload
    3. 5.75 clean 1.75 draw 2.42 reload
    4. 6.22 clean 1.74 draw 2.57 reload
    5. 9.58 -1h2b 1.76 draw 2.45 reload (5.58 raw time but pushed and fell apart)

Slightly slower draws than normal but I'm still struggling to keep the dot moving and shooting the streak so splits are glacial. Still find myself not being target focused from time to time and when I do everything else gets retarded - for instance I'm too busy watching the feature film to realize I need to prep the trigger while it's between scenes and be ready so I either have slow splits with a perfect dot or smash through the whole press while it's moving and having a higher likelihood of pulling shots low.

With irons I can generally run sub 6 without much chance of dropping anything.

The pace above was being careful and I could run slow runs all day with the dot but after 4 I decided to put on the gas and went artificially fast - then fell apart.

Reloads are a problem. Something I always say that I can do in dry practice so that I don't waste live ammo on them, but then I neglect them in dry practice as well and you get what we have here today(which is what he wants, well, he gets...

Name:  20200809_100817.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  24.1 KB

Name:  20200809_100956.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  20200809_101207.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  24.0 KB

Name:  20200809_101406.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  20.1 KB

Name:  20200809_101613.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  25.0 KB
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Name:  71B0CE25-8981-437E-8EE2-019360E1A8FC.jpeg
Views: 488
Size:  94.3 KB

5.51s
    Got a little faster but barely squeaked in the head box
    First run of the day. The second I threw a body shot

Before I broke my arm I was working on getting a sub 5.00 FAST with a wheelgun. When I got my coin I used a Beretta 92 out of a duty holster, but I'd been thinking about whether or not it's possible to go under 5 with a spinny-middle shooter, and the answer is yes. I didn't get it, but my last attempt I got on video was a 5.64 clean from IDPA style concealment, and I gave away some time.

Those are all the runs I managed to get on video, and my total times were: 6.78, 6.46, 6.13, 5.64. Gun was the same every time, Ruger GP100 Match Champion in 10mm shooting .40 S&W with TK Custom Moonclips.

It has been 26 days since my last range trip. I shot these as the first rounds fired today (and rounds 530 through 554 with my PX4 this whole year), with no dry fire or other rehearsal today before shooting this drill. I'd say this is about as cold as it gets.

Gun: 9mm Beretta PX4
    Holster: JMCK IWB
    Cover garment: thin, lightweight shirt, buttoned all the way.

First run: 8.72 seconds, clean. Ye Gods that felt clumsy... Let's try that again.

Second run: 7.82 seconds, clean. Slight but noticeable improvements in both the draw and reload.

Third run: 7.94 seconds, clean. Yet a tad better draw but a slight hitch in the reload. Perhaps I should practice reloads from concealment once in a while?

Fourth run: 7.99 seconds, missed one to the 3x5. Shite! What happened was that somehow I managed to entirely miss the hem of my shirt and had to start my draw all over again. And of course decided that trying to go faster to make up for the lost time would be a brilliant idea. Yanked the first round just outside the box. So that's a grand total of 9.99 seconds, then. Bloody hell... Well, I suppose I should be glad it was under ten seconds. I still maintain my record of shooting this drill within the intermediate level, cold and on demand. By 0.01 seconds...

Name:  IMG_20200818_192019653.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  26.1 KB

Name:  sonuva.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  43.1 KB

God damnit bloody hell sonuvabitch...
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

PX4CC
    JMCK Wing Claw 2.5 under a polo shirt
    JMCK AIWB mag pouch

Cold - 2 weeks since my last range session: 8.43 -1B so 9.43. Draw was 2.52, reload was 3.57

Worked some improvement drills, following some advice from Caleb Giddings on a podcast:

2-shot draws to the 3x5
    Draw-1-reload-2, 3x5 to the circle
    Bill Drill 2 to the circle

Reshot the FAST twice:

8.12, -1H = 10.12
    8.38, -1B = 9.48

My best clean FAST ever (in February) was 8.15. Today, my press out was shaky.

I really didn’t get enough reps of the component work. I’m trying to limit my ammo consumption. I need to work on dry draws and go back in a week.

Shot this one cold: Clean 4.81s
    G19 gen4 from a Blade-Tech Phantom IWB under a closed front shirt
    Went for a couple subsequent tries but kept dropping a round.
    Name:  9B635D49-306A-4EFD-B875-64D5B5D9BA24.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  27.5 KB
    Name:  71017C38-B235-456E-83D6-BD6E29AB05E7.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  24.5 KB

Glock 45
    TLR7 A
    Vedder light tuck concealed
    Two cold runs clean in the 5:3s

I’m noticing that I’m blowing the reloads for some reason. It just didn’t feel nor work right for me.

1.3s on the first shot (high 1.3s which is strong for me) and good splits.

But this ammo shortage is killing my gains. I was getting sub 5s in the past....albeit on good days.

Need to run it some in the duty gear soon.

Regards.

Shot from IDPA style concealed carry, OWB, comp-tac international gear, HK P30L CDA V4.1 LEM
    6.00 clean
    5.90 clean
    5.97 +2

I will always have a slow strong side draw compared to appendix, other than that everything else is about how fast I can go before the consistency falls off.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

User Tag List