Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Is There Enough of a Silent Majority To Stem the Tide?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    ...or are we doomed?

Seems to me if we ever needed the (mostly silent) masses to rise up and put an end to this overwhelming wave of insanity, it's now.

Ironic that the antidote comes in a fairly hard to swallow orange pill, and a bunch of red ones that haven't proven that they offer much more than a placebo effect.

Nonetheless, that seems to be where we stand and where the line is drawn in the sand.

This goes well beyond just the 2A, imho, as the entire Bill of Rights seems up for grabs. Too many seem ready and willng to tear down the Constitution along with those fusty old statues and unnecessary police precincts that used to be a part of everyday life in America.

Is it possible to reinstall truth and rational thought as virtues to be pursued?

I fervently hope so, for the sake of the republic and the citizens whose blood and effort built and maintained this nation.
    As many people believe that the liberal extremism is a existential threat to the country, there are a lot of people who believe that said orange pill is the same.

I think most people are certain the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

The thing that concerns me is the people who fervently believe one way or the other.

For instance. The statues thing. I could not give a single shit about some cheaply made statues of Confederate Hee-roes. For one, I don't believe in participation trophies for losers. Two, most of them were erected in a hurry because of that pesky civil rights movement. Had to remind those uppity black people where they lived. I believe the residents of those cities have every right to demand their removal to museums and if not that, then to protest and deface them. I say this as the descendant of a Confederate soldier.

Doesn't mean I'd be down with defacing statues of our founding fathers. Different story.

Yet the problem with both sides is that if I'm not with one 100 percent then I'm the Other Team here to make them get in the boxcars, and because I am trying to do that, then turnabout is fair play.

That's why I basically don't say shit. I have no intention of drawing the ire of the radicals, nor of participating in their nonsense. If either side pushes me too far I get sarcastic, and because neither side understands irony I will probably get into a fight. I don't think I'm alone in this.

I have deep concerns that Donald Trump is unfit to be president and even deeper concerns that Joe Biden is literally struggling with dementia. The fact that we've been saddled with these two dipshits doesn't give me hope for the intelligence or civic duty of my fellow Americans.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

...or are we doomed?

Seems to me if we ever needed the (mostly silent) masses to rise up and put an end to this overwhelming wave of insanity, it's now.

Ironic that the antidote comes in a fairly hard to swallow orange pill, and a bunch of red ones that haven't proven that they offer much more than a placebo effect.

Nonetheless, that seems to be where we stand and where the line is drawn in the sand.

This goes well beyond just the 2A, imho, as the entire Bill of Rights seems up for grabs. Too many seem ready and willng to tear down the Constitution along with those fusty old statues and unnecessary police precincts that used to be a part of everyday life in America.

Is it possible to reinstall truth and rational thought as virtues to be pursued?

I fervently hope so, for the sake of the republic and the citizens whose blood and effort built and maintained this nation.
    If Trump and Biden are the best this nation can offer as leaders, God help us all. Looking to either for truth and rational thought is futile.

The system is badly broken.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The system would work better if people treated the primaries like the playoffs. If everyone waits until election day to see which clown the circus sent then yeah, we're kind of screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    The system would work better if people treated the primaries like the playoffs. If everyone waits until election day to see which clown the circus sent then yeah, we're kind of screwed.
    I'm in my early 60's. I spent my entire life registered as an Independent. Before the 2016 election, I finally decided to become a Republican so I could have a say in the party's nominee.

Funny, I should end up with my last choice from a solid field of 17 candidates. Trump's not my guy, and man do I wish he'd get rid of his twitter account, but I'm voting for him because I don't think Biden would be a net good for the country.

...or are we doomed?

I have faith (you can think of me as irrational for having said so if you want) that the vast majority of folks are really good and will act to stop this (at the polls) even though I, along with many here, am constantly constantly bombarded by the media's coverage supporting the Left's agenda which makes the relative few making all of the noise seem to be a lot larger than they actually are.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    If Trump and Biden are the best this nation can offer as leaders, God help us all. Looking to either for truth and rational thought is futile.

''I do not know if the people of the United States would vote for superior men if they ran for office, but there can be no doubt that such men do not run.''--Alexis de Tocqueville
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    I have faith (you can think of me as irrational for having said so if you want) that the vast majority of folks are really good and will act to stop this (at the polls) even though I, along with many here, am constantly constantly bombarded by the media's coverage supporting the Left's agenda which makes the relative few making all of the noise seem to be a lot larger than they actually are.
    I fervently hope that you are correct.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - problem is, the "silent majority" of good men have much better things to do than nothing. Meaning that the riots and protests don't really affect overall productive citizens, on the whole. They're busy with other things, and can afford to avoid the whole mess. At least until it's literally at their front door, like the couple in St. Louis.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    It is entirely possible that my head is buried in the sand, but it seems to me that most folks are getting along about as well as they ever did. That's not necessarily a good thing, but is also not an existential threat to the republic.

If I spend even a tiny amount of time watching the news, my anxiety goes through the roof and I want to stock up on ammo. If I get out of the house and go get groceries, things don't seem that bad.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    The media coverage isn't friendly to the sitting president, there is a global pandemic, economic uncertainty, and civil unrest. By many metrics, it has been a pretty crappy year for a lot of voters. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Biden won the election.

Will his inauguration be good for gun rights? It is almost certain that the answer to that is, "No". Will it be the end of the Republic? I'd like to believe the answer to that question is also, "No".

User Tag List