Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for electrical help---GFCI outlet tripped in kitchen

Looking for electrical help---GFCI outlet tripped in kitchen

One of the GFCI outlets tripped in our kitchen tripped two days ago, making the dishwasher inoperable. Looking for guidance on tracking down the problem and fixing it.

My steps so far:

1) I disconnected the wiring to the washer (no other appliances on the circuit), turned the breaker back on and the outlet was able to be reset ---also replaced the outlet with a new one(I am simplifying my dingbat troubleshooting a bit here)

2) I flipped the breaker off, re-wired the washer, flipped the breaker back, outlet was still tripped, it finally reset on my third push of the reset button, then ran the dishwasher for 20 min, then the outlet tripped again

3) I repeated the steps I did before, again the outlet reset on the third try---but then my wife misheard my instructions and flipped the outside breaker again, and when she flipped it back, the outlet tripped again and would not reset.

Now, even with powerline to the washer disconnected and capped off, the outlet is still detecting a short and won't reset.

My next guess is there is a break in the powerline under the house causing a short. The line is shoved through the gap between the floor and the exterior wall without even a proper hole drilled.

I would like to have the input of someone who actually knows something before I start dicking around in the crawlspace under the house.

At least my internet is back after 2 days without so I can consult the hive. 😃
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Please confirm whether you replaced the GFCI outlet or another outlet downstream from the GFCI? If you haven't replaced the GFCI, I recommend doing that first. I have had to replace several for clients over the years. I'm not an electrician, just a handyman.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Please confirm whether you replaced the GFCI outlet or another outlet downstream from the GFCI? If you haven't replaced the GFCI, I recommend doing that first. I have had to replace several for clients over the years. I'm not an electrician, just a handyman.
    I replaced the GFCI outlet that was tripped, and the new one is doing the same thing.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I replaced the GFCI outlet that was tripped, and the new one is doing the same thing.
    Is this GFCI solo on the circuit or are there other outlets wired into its circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Is this GFCI solo on the circuit or are there other outlets wired into its circuit?
    Two other outlets are on the same circuit, one with a switch for the overhead florescent above the sink. I took off the outlet covers and it looks like everything is connected, but hard to tell without pulling out the outlets. They are not GFCI outlets.

I am focused on the washer cord because disconnecting from the washer got the switch to reset (barely) twice before. If it is"leaking" current beneath the house, it would trip the outlet.

If the sloppy fool who did the wiring in our house had put the washer connection on it's own circuit as code requires, this wouldn't even be a possible problem. 🤬

I am tempted to just replace the outlet with a non-GFCI one, but I don't want to mask an issue that really needs to be addressed.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

IIRC from my days in the appliance repair world, GFCI outlets aren’t supposed to be used for appliances. It’s been a minute (like 10 years) since I got paid to work on them though...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The last time I did this I had to trace the wiring from the GFCI to the other outlets. I found we had a wiring issue, which caused the GFCI to trip. If the GFCI was not present, a fire was a strong possibility as there was a loose connection and charred insulation.

Also, nothing is plugged into any outlet in the circuit and the light switch is on "off."
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    IIRC from my days in the appliance repair world, GFCI outlets aren’t supposed to be used for appliances. It’s been a minute (like 10 years) since I got paid to work on them though...
    Don't forget kitchen or wet bar areas. Per 210.8(A)(6), GFCI protection is required for all 15A and 20A, 125V receptacles that serve kitchen countertop surfaces in a dwelling unit (Fig. 1 on page 54). GFCI protection is not required for receptacles serving appliances like dishwashers, or convenience receptacles that do not supply countertop surfaces. Receptacles installed within 6 ft of the outside edge of a wet bar sink must also be GFCI-protected [210.8(A)(7)]. However, GFCI protection is not required for receptacles not intended to serve wet bar countertop surfaces, such as refrigerators, ice makers, water heaters, or convenience receptacles that do not supply counter-top surfaces.

https://www.ecmweb.com/national-elec...errupters-gfci

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    The outlet is on the same circuit as the dishwasher, but the dishwasher has it's own power cord. (As I said, not up to code, usually only an issue with older homes)Looks like I am about to go under the house to investigate.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 08-07-2020 at 02:11 PM.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List