Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streamlight TLR-8 on rifle?

Streamlight TLR-8 on rifle?

Looking for feedback from anyone that has ran a Streamlight TLR8 on an AR15. Looking specifically at the green model. Undecided on the newer rear switch setup or the side activated.

The light/laser would be mounted on the top rail. The rifle is a 9" BCM 300BLK with a Vortex Crossfire red dot in a high 1.93" G mount and no back up sights. Was thinking I could keep the red dot zeroed for supersonic loads and use the green laser for subs.

Any feedback / discussion is appreciated.

Thanks

Site Supporter
    I have a TLR-8 mounted on the top rail of a Sig MPX, which though not an AR, I think is close enough in principle to offer an opinion on the matter.

I prefer the side button activation because I have limited rail space and the footprint is a bit smaller than the versions with switches on the rear of the device. I have had no issues with accidental activation so far (which was my main concern with the side buttons), even when the MPX is being carried in a bag.

Another great thing about the TLR-8 is that it is small enough that even mounted on the top rail, when combined with an optic on a lower third mount, you get a virtually unobstructed view through the optic:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter

An Olight alternative?

Funny you should mention this...
    I was just looking at handgun lights to mount on the top rail of an AR pistol. I’d like small, lightweight, good switch ergonomics, and ideally a high enough light (when mounted “inverted”) to work over a folded Magpul BUIS in front of it, while low enough to play well with a lower 1/3 RDS.
    As far as I’m concerned, the light would likely be useful, the laser might be interesting to try.
    Olight is releasing this:
    https://www.olightstore.com/baldr-mini.html
    In a few days. They currently offer a similar-sized light without a laser for the same price as this one will be on sale.

Interested in thoughts and insights from others who’ve used various lights in this role.

@nalesq: working on building an AR pistol in 5.56, and that is the setup I have-TLR8 green mounted right at the front of the top rail. I have the older switch on this build, not the “A” rocker switch. I have not run live fire, but with limited dry fire is seems good.
    Only critical comment would be the Streamlight white light is 500 lumens, so not the flamethrower other lights are. I consider this a home defense and perhaps to pack in a vehicle, so I think it’s adequate.
    I will know more in a few weeks.

Keep in mind the ratio of candela/lumens: most of the WMLs intended for pistol use have more of a flood beam (low ratio of candela to lumens). For CQC that is fine, but for longer engagements they won't have the reach.

If you're using a RDS on an AR pistol or PDW intended for shorter range use, they're a good way to roll. If you need to get beyond 50 yards, not so much.

Streamlight TLR-8 on rifle?

I think it’s a great idea for a compact setup. I have a TLR 7 on my 300 BLK pistol. I also run a TLR 8ag on one of my carry guns, and the green laser is daylight visible to 20+yds.

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Funny you should mention this...
    I was just looking at handgun lights to mount on the top rail of an AR pistol. I’d like small, lightweight, good switch ergonomics, and ideally a high enough light (when mounted “inverted”) to work over a folded Magpul BUIS in front of it, while low enough to play well with a lower 1/3 RDS.
    As far as I’m concerned, the light would likely be useful, the laser might be interesting to try.
    Olight is releasing this:
    https://www.olightstore.com/baldr-mini.html
    In a few days. They currently offer a similar-sized light without a laser for the same price as this one will be on sale.

Interested in thoughts and insights from others who’ve used various lights in this role.
    There’s an upcoming sale on the Baldr, supposedly.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    There’s an upcoming sale on the Baldr, supposedly.
    Yes- I’ve been getting the emails.

Just wondering if it’s a good fit for my needs... or is there something better out there?

Personally I'd roll with the full size BALDR model that takes standard CR123 batteries. Not a fan of non-replaceable proprietary power sources.

I have a TLR8 on my PCC at 12 o’clock. The optic on the gun is a Holosun 512. Just for context, my use-case for this gun is critter control suppressed using mostly the laser and action shooting matches unsuppressed using only the Holosun. I remove the TLR8 for matches because it’s so tall that it obscures the sight picture more than I’d like for a match.

I believe the sweet spot for this light/laser is 12 o’clock with a T1/H1 sized optic mounted on a lower 1/3 mount. The combination of the smaller tube and higher mount would, I believe, mostly clear the TLR8.

My laser is green and my optic is red. Personally I wish I’d reversed those since my laser usage is largely against foliage against critters in the yard and it’s hard to find the green dot in the daylight.

I’m intrigued by that Olight offering. I’ve always wondered why they can’t just put the laser emitter inside the light like that. I would also prefer the throw lever mount, although it appears that the mount in this case is making the overall height of the thing much greater. Would be ironic if they managed to get the body of the light shorter due to the laser placement but then the overall distance from rail to top of light (assuming 12 o’clock) is actually equal to or greater than the Streamlight.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List