Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LPVO for Marlin 1895

Site Supporter
    I have also had good results with the Weaver 1-3. Very solid little scope for the money.

I recently picked up a used Leupold VX-Freedom 1.5-4 Pig Plex and put it on my 1894 44 mag. I have not shot it yet, and have just playing with it around the office. Had a little trouble getting the eye relief right when I mounted it to clear the XS ghost ring. Ended up having to using higher rings than I really like, so I am still debating the setup. If I didn't have the ghost ring setup on there it would be somewhat more compact.The reticle reminds of me of the German #3 in an old Lyman 3 power that I had mounted on an HK 770 years (and years) ago.

Site Supporter
    I ordered a Holosun 407cV2 yesterday from Brownells. Gonna start with the dot and if it doesn't work out, I'll likely try one of the Leupold Fire-Dots and move the Holosun to a pistol.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Those recommending the Weaver 1-3, can you compare it to the Leupolds that are 1.25 or 1.5 on the low end? Does the Weaver facilitate a cleaner both-eyes-open use up close?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Those recommending the Weaver 1-3, can you compare it to the Leupolds that are 1.25 or 1.5 on the low end? Does the Weaver facilitate a cleaner both-eyes-open use up close?
    Yes, definitely. It's closer to 1x, perhaps even less than 1x. If it had illumination it would be ideal.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Less than 1x can be adjusted for with an LPVO, doncha know.

I have an assortment of 1x prism scopes intended to replace red dots, but they are all less than 1x in reality. It makes a both-eyes-open use problematic for me, where the view through an Aimpoint micro is perfect, even though the dot is not.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Correct, you can dial up a smidgen to hit "1.0"x.

I mounted my 1-3 to a 15-22 a few weeks ago to try out at a steel challenge match. The short range targets, <10 yards, felt pretty slow. Once past that it wasn't bad, but nowhere near as forgiving as a red dot, or one of the more modern 30mm MSR oriented LPVOs. Still serviceable though, and weighs nothing compared to most other options. The eye box isn't as forgiving as newer LPVOs, and without illumination you lose the reticle if you get too far off center.

Not my first choice for gun games, but I think its wholly adequate for hunting and well suited to something like a lever gun used inside of 200 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I ordered a Holosun 407cV2 yesterday from Brownells. Gonna start with the dot and if it doesn't work out, I'll likely try one of the Leupold Fire-Dots and move the Holosun to a pistol.
    Curious to hear how you like it. I’ve been considering one for my .44 1894 Marlin.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Curious to hear how you like it. I’ve been considering one for my .44 1894 Marlin.
    Wanted to update the thread. I received my 407c from Brownells without issue and mounted it last week. Weather kept me from the range Sat but I was able to sneak off today and sight in the combo.

To say I am pleased with the combo is a definite understatement! It is definitely the right combo for my application! Sighted in first with HSM 405gr Cowboy Action loads at 50, then 100. Once pleased with my results at 100 I moved to Steinel 300gr "Goldilocks" JHP load, that will be my hunting load this year and dialed it in at 100 too.

Shooting off a pack on the bench my final group was a couple of inches at 100yds and I rang steel at 200 with both rounds fired at that distance just to see and using a guesstimate holdover.

I was having so much fun, I finished both boxes of ammo I bought and forgot to take any pictures.

I think for my stated us this combo will be excellent and it really maintains the handiness and balance/weight of the rifle well.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I was having so much fun, I finished both boxes of ammo I bought and forgot to take any pictures.
    Sounds good, but this needs pix!

Everyone who shoots my Guide Gun ends up with a smile on their face. I’m taking it to the range tomorrow because a friend just replaced my Marlin brick with a Decelerator recoil pad and I need to try it out. Plus I just enjoy shooting the silly thing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Sounds good, but this needs pix!

Everyone who shoots my Guide Gun ends up with a smile on their face. I’m taking it to the range tomorrow because a friend just replaced my Marlin brick with a Decelerator recoil pad and I need to try it out. Plus I just enjoy shooting the silly thing.
    Mines the GBL so it came with the Decelerator pad. It worked nicely, I think you'll be very happy with it. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

User Tag List