Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LPVO for Marlin 1895

For $400 you can get a Leupold VX3i 1.5-5x, which is my favorite hunting scope. They used to make an illuminated version, but I think it's discontinued. If you want to save some money, look for a used one. Leupold honors the warranty even if you aren't the original purchaser. If you go used, Leupold also made a 1.75-6x.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter

Trade offs?

Perhaps the best feature of most lever guns is the ease of carry at the balance point. This is negated by an optic. I love optics, especially as I grow older. That said, I find the ease of carry to outweigh the benefit of an optic within 100 yards. Best, ELN.

Have you thought of an RDS? I have an older Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5-4.5 with the Firefly reticle on my Marlin 375S. It about killed me to put it on there but it did breath some new life for old eyes. I agree with @Wyoming Shooter in that it changes the handling of the gun and not for the good either. Since that time I have obtained an AR with an Aimpoint and I'm seriously thinking of just going that route on my lever blaster. Both eyes shooting with no magnification, no eye relief to deal with, putting it where it balances better, less weight, there's just an awful lot to like. I'm beta testing an RDS on my Thompson Center muzzloader this year but I already know it's going to work for me, I've had too much success hitting much farther than 100 yards with a Aimpoint on my AR.

The Vortex Strikefire II would leave a lot of your budget left over.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Perhaps the best feature of most lever guns is the ease of carry at the balance point. This is negated by an optic. I love optics, especially as I grow older. That said, I find the ease of carry to outweigh the benefit of an optic within 100 yards. Best, ELN.
    ^^^THIS^^^

This aspect is often dismissed out-of-hand. Most of the better LPVOs weigh in the 16 - 20 ounce range, plus the weight of the mount and rings. To your point, that much weight above the receiver changes the balance. Great article on this here.

Thus the reason I'm such a fan of the Leupold FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm scope. At only six ounces it has minimal impact on weight and balance. Use this scope with something like the Ashley Performance mount and you'll end up with a superb optic package for the 1895 that will have minimal impact on the handling qualities of the rifle.

Last edited by NH Shooter; 08-10-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Have you thought of an RDS? I have an older Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5-4.5 with the Firefly reticle on my Marlin 375S. It about killed me to put it on there but it did breath some new life for old eyes. I agree with @Wyoming Shooter in that it changes the handling of the gun and not for the good either. Since that time I have obtained an AR with an Aimpoint and I'm seriously thinking of just going that route on my lever blaster. Both eyes shooting with no magnification, no eye relief to deal with, putting it where it balances better, less weight, there's just an awful lot to like. I'm beta testing an RDS on my Thompson Center muzzloader this year but I already know it's going to work for me, I've had too much success hitting much farther than 100 yards with a Aimpoint on my AR.

The Vortex Strikefire II would leave a lot of your budget left over.
    I have. I keep waffling back and forth over the lpvo and a holosun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    One of the reasons that I used a scout scope on the Guide Gun. I can still carry it with my hand wrapped around the receiver, finger around the knuckle that the lever bolts in to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    One of the reasons that I used a scout scope on the Guide Gun. I can still carry it with my hand wrapped around the receiver, finger around the knuckle that the lever bolts in to.
    Best part about lever guns imo. Or one of them.

I think the weaver 1-3 is a great scope for the money and would be my pick

Another option would be a good fixed 4x.

I use leupold 4x on a couple guns and find them good solid beaters. Light, decent glass, and I typically never adjust optics in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I picked up a Marlin 1895GBL for the coming hunting season (getting back into it as the kids are getting older). I added an XS Lever Rail and am looking to top it with a lpvo.

Many seem to be geared toward the AR platform with exposed turrets and reticles designed to compensate for the drop of a .223.

I was hoping to solicit some recommendations for a suitable scope in a 1-4x or 1-6x range with capped turrets and preferably some illumination in the reticle for low light/bad weather. I'd like to keep it less than $400. If that could be done with suitable rings even better. The 1895 is chambered in .45-70. Hunting area is heavily wooded and hilly. Longest shot would be 100yds or so. Typical ranges closer.

Several of you have much more lever gun and hunting experience than me, and I appreciate your input. Thanks!
    Cabelas has a pretty good selection of scopes including the firedot. So does Sportsman warehouse. There must be other big box stores who have them.
    One of my LGS’s has one in stock.

My buddy who kills a lot of deer uses a fixed on his .30-30. Swears by it. Light and nothing to break.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    My two cents...

I agree on the whole balance thing. The slim profile of a lever gun receiver lends itself to effortless carry and the ability to be stashed into some really tight places. That’s the beauty of it. I have a 1930’s vintage 94 and just looking at the worn blue I can tell there have been a lot of folks who have thought the same.

I know you stated you mounted a rail, but have you considered a receiver sight? I put a Williams on the 94 and discovered the magic of rear apertures and 60yr old eyes. I used it last season in the upper Midwest (deep woods, thick brush) and really didn’t feel handicapped with it. Then again, my days of getting in the stand at 0330 to be settled for first light and eeking every second out of the evening are behind me. Just last week I spent an afternoon in the field shooting a few battle rifles with apature sights and was really pleasantly surprised at my performance with them.

Just another thought. It’s always easy to spend someone else’s hard earned money right?
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List