Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVO for Marlin 1895

Site Supporter

LPVO for Marlin 1895

I picked up a Marlin 1895GBL for the coming hunting season (getting back into it as the kids are getting older). I added an XS Lever Rail and am looking to top it with a lpvo.

Many seem to be geared toward the AR platform with exposed turrets and reticles designed to compensate for the drop of a .223.

I was hoping to solicit some recommendations for a suitable scope in a 1-4x or 1-6x range with capped turrets and preferably some illumination in the reticle for low light/bad weather. I'd like to keep it less than $400. If that could be done with suitable rings even better. The 1895 is chambered in .45-70. Hunting area is heavily wooded and hilly. Longest shot would be 100yds or so. Typical ranges closer.

Several of you have much more lever gun and hunting experience than me, and I appreciate your input. Thanks!

Not illuminated but I've always liked my Weaver 1-3. Used it on a 336 for a while before moving it to a 22.

If you had to have illumination you might look at Leupolds firedot scopes.

For the 336 I ended up using a Redfield 2-7. Still light weight but gathers a little more light and 2x doesnt feel like a disadvantage.

Site Supporter
    Was looking at the firedot but either I'm looking at the wrong ones or they are out of production and out of budget.
    Last edited by rd62; 08-06-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    Gracias

M4c: Leupold VX-R Patrol for $450 shipped.

It's been there for a couple weeks so you might be able to talk him down.
    David S.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I'd go with the Vortex Viper PST 1-4, aka the Vortex Ranger

Reticle is a bit busy but the glass is great for the money. Looks like Amazon's price is $360 at the moment which is a very good price.

Turrets are exposed which is a minus, but if you can live with that it's a good buy.

My Guide Gun has a Leupold 2.5x Scout Scope on it and I’ve taken several deer out to about 100yds. It takes a bit to wrap your mind around a Scout setup, but no worries about scope cuts.

I bought a Vortex Crossfire 1-4x with the non-illuminated reticle a few years ago for a 16” .300Blk rifle when Cabelas had them on sale. Great little optic at a reasonable price , a co-worker bought one of the illuminated version and really liked it too.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-cros...ex_reticle=990

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    My Guide Gun has a Leupold 2.5x Scout Scope on it and I’ve taken several deer out to about 100yds.
    This.

Not the scout version, but this one still has nearly five inches of eye relief and weighs only six ounces. Perfect (IMO) for a lever gun - FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm

I like mine, even on an AR;

Total weight with mount is 12 ounces. Simple, non-illuminated duplex reticle. Zero Tactical Timmy features. Cost is around $270.00, plus a mount/rings.

Last weekend I was farting around with it at 480 yards ringing a 30-inch round steel plate. I looked up the drop on a ballistics app for the load I was using, held over the appropriate amount (based on the size of the target) and went to town with it from the prone position.

The actual magnification is 2.2x and it is easy to use with both eyes open at close range. The low profile of the scope and long eye relief really helps in that regard.

This scope IMO would be right at home on your hard-kicking lever gun.

User Tag List