Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shooting the dot with a target focus

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Just a note; for some people like me the BAC is physiologically impossible. I was born with a bad lazy eye and had a couple of surgeries to fix it as a kid, as well as having to wear an eye patch. My brain missed the developmental window to learn to see stereoscopically. If someone has never been able to see the ‘magic 3D images” that’s a good sign that the BAC won’t work for them.

When I try to shoot with an occluded optic my brain simply switches dominance to the unoccluded eye and doesn’t combine the images. It’s awesome for shooting long guns on either side. Other people will simply see an occluded optic.
    Occluded shooting and the Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC) are actually not the same thing,

You can largely thank the USMC and the fact that Glen Bindon’s company, Trijicon was theimporter for the South African OEG occluded gunsight for the confusion:

BAC is a technique for tracking moving targets using illuminated reticle and binocular vision. It doesn’t necessarily involve occluded shooting.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Have you tried it with a pistol? Only asking because when I did it many years ago with a carbine in Pat Rogers class and I was off the mark by 2 inches at 7 yards. A week ago GJM asked me to shoot some at 25 yards and my first 5 shot group was solidly inside the USPSA target hear box. My second 5 shot group was inside an upper A on all but one shot. Not sure why handgun vs rifle makes the difference for me but it does.
    I tried it with a handgun a couple years ago and it didn’t really work, but I’ll give it a try again soon in livefire. I’m always up for trying to learn something new.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Occluded shooting and the Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC) are actually not the same thing,

You can largely thank the USMC and the fact that Glen Bindon’s company, Trijicon was theimporter for the South African OEG occluded gunsight for the confusion:

BAC is a technique for tracking moving targets using illuminated reticle and binocular vision. It doesn’t necessarily involve occluded shooting.
    Thanks for the correction. Learning has occurred.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Not to excessively derail the thread, but Ian over at Forgotten Weapons takes a SBR R5 clone with a OEG to a rifle match, and has thoughts.

R5 with OEG at Rifle Match

The performance exceeded expectations, but certain challenges were encountered in firing through narrow ports.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Practice with a taped lens could carry over to the streets. If you draw your pistol in a defensive scenario and the lens has more lint in it than your dryer screen, you will already know what to do.

Site Supporter
    Aaron Cowan talks about another drill/exercise he got from Will Petty for making sure you’re target focused during the draw and while shooting in this video. They will write a word or words on the target and you make sure you can read the words on the target while drawing/presenting and shooting the pistol.

If you don’t have time for the video Aaron was using one word on the target while he said Will would write song lyrics and have target spots interspersed between different words.

im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Aaron Cowan talks about another drill/exercise he got from Will Petty for making sure you’re target focused during the draw and while shooting in this video. They will write a word or words on the target and you make sure you can read the words on the target while drawing/presenting and shooting the pistol.

If you don’t have time for the video Aaron was using one word on the target while he said Will would write song lyrics and have target spots interspersed between different words.
    Interesting - I've been trying to do this by using targets with writing on them and focusing on the numbers/letters.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I've been shooting a dot for almost 40 years and the first thing I learned was to concentrate on the target and when the dot hit it go ahead and fire.

I mostly shoot Steel Challenge Matches and it doesn't matter where you are on target, if the dot hits it you will gain a hit. I find that most people are trying to keep the dot steady in the center of the target. This is perfect for Bulleye shooting, even though you can't stop the dot from moving. For steel you have to be comfortable knowing that you don't need MOA, must Minute Of Target.

Played with this at the range on Thursday.

Observations:

It was work to stay target focused I had to really try to get on target.

All of my shots were low, nice groups but low. Not sure if I was looking over the gun a little to see the target or if it was just something with my eyes and the occlusion.

I was shifting back hard to the dot when the trigger hit the wall. Normal shot was: target, target, press trigger, wall, blackout+bright dot, bang. I think I’m shifting for that last second fine tuning.

I’m going to try and work it dryfire and focus on the PT in the 3x5 on the FAST target.

User Tag List