Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting the dot with a target focus

Site Supporter
    Just a note; for some people like me the BAC is physiologically impossible. I was born with a bad lazy eye and had a couple of surgeries to fix it as a kid, as well as having to wear an eye patch. My brain missed the developmental window to learn to see stereoscopically. If someone has never been able to see the ‘magic 3D images” that’s a good sign that the BAC won’t work for them.

When I try to shoot with an occluded optic my brain simply switches dominance to the unoccluded eye and doesn’t combine the images. It’s awesome for shooting long guns on either side. Other people will simply see an occluded optic.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I followed the advice below during my practice session today. I timed it with tape on and tape off. My times were similar. I am presuming I have a relatively good target focus. I am liking the dot more as I learn more. I run a Glock 17 MOS with ACRO.

It might be worthwhile taping over your front lens and doing a practice session or two and see what you observe.[/QUOTE]

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Good info, as usual, GJM.

Oddly enough, this does appear to be in the lesson plans for Gunsite's pistol mounted optics classes.
    It's also in the lesson plan for Sig's PMO Instructor class. It was......eye opening.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    It's also in the lesson plan for Sig's PMO Instructor class. It was......eye opening.
    I believe SIG got it from Aaron Cowan. As Ernest Langdon says the best teachers are the best thieves.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I believe SIG got it from Aaron Cowan. As Ernest Langdon says the best teachers are the best thieves.
    Could very well be. Yeah, they were very much in the "absorb what is useful" mode. They've taken a lot from different agencies they've worked with, and instructors they've trained with. Very into the EDIP model that Mike Seeklander uses as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Dobbs/Bolke told me that Aimpoint has been doing this for years, in their red dot carbine LE training, by closing the front black cap.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Monovision correction for the win. I realize I have been doing this for awhile. During a Hackathorn class several years ago, we shot with tape over our sights. Nothing to precisely / traditionally focus on, just an awareness of the interrupted vision.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Dobbs/Bolke told me that Aimpoint has been doing this for years, in their red dot carbine LE training, by closing the front black cap.
    It was part of the material taught by Aimpoint's Mil ProStaff in the 00s. I first got it from Pat Rogers. No doubt it had been around before that.

Regardless, some acknowledge or attribute where their material came from. The good news is that with PMOs, there is a lot of cross-pollination.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Occluded eye aiming is nothing new, it goes back at least to the Normark Single Point sights developed in the 1960s and used in the 1970 Son Tay POW raid.

https://soldiersystems.net/2015/11/1...1-cqbr-part-i/

Cowan is the first I’m aware of to apply it to PMO training.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Just a note; for some people like me the BAC is physiologically impossible. I was born with a bad lazy eye and had a couple of surgeries to fix it as a kid, as well as having to wear an eye patch. My brain missed the developmental window to learn to see stereoscopically. If someone has never been able to see the ‘magic 3D images” that’s a good sign that the BAC won’t work for them.

When I try to shoot with an occluded optic my brain simply switches dominance to the unoccluded eye and doesn’t combine the images. It’s awesome for shooting long guns on either side. Other people will simply see an occluded optic.

Have you tried it with a pistol? Only asking because when I did it many years ago with a carbine in Pat Rogers class and I was off the mark by 2 inches at 7 yards. A week ago GJM asked me to shoot some at 25 yards and my first 5 shot group was solidly inside the USPSA target hear box. My second 5 shot group was inside an upper A on all but one shot. Not sure why handgun vs rifle makes the difference for me but it does.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List