Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious about a couple points re Gold Dot and Ranger ammo

Curious about a couple points re Gold Dot and Ranger ammo

Just a couple of questions for those who might know:

1. Standard velocity 124gr 9mm Gold Dot is not on "the list." My assumption is/has been that it simply hasn't been tested due to the popularity of the +p version for agency use. Is my assumption correct or is there some other reason? (I feel like I saw something about this once, but I tried a search and failed to find the answer)

2. I have read many times about the QC problems with Winchester handgun ammo, or at least LE ammo. Is/was that reputation deserved and have things changed recently or is it still suspect? Most of the comments I have seen about this are from a few years back and/or involved the "Z" ammo that is periodically available.

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by jd950 View Post
    Just a couple of questions for those who might know:

1. Standard velocity 124gr 9mm Gold Dot is not on "the list." My assumption is/has been that it simply hasn't been tested due to the popularity of the +p version for agency use. Is my assumption correct or is there some other reason? (I feel like I saw something about this once, but I tried a search and failed to find the answer)

2. I have read many times about the QC problems with Winchester handgun ammo, or at least LE ammo. Is/was that reputation deserved and have things changed recently or is it still suspect? Most of the comments I have seen about this are from a few years back and/or involved the "Z" ammo that is periodically available.

Just curious.
    I conferred with Doc Roberts via PM specifically about the standard pressure 124 grain Gold Dots a year or two back and he pronounced them good to go. Good enough for me.

Re: Winchester...I do carry the Winchester Ranger RA38B in my J frame. I have not had any issues out of the case I have...and have seen none of the issues which were brought up in regard to them. I can't speak for their 9mm ammo.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I conferred with Doc Roberts via PM specifically about the standard pressure 124 grain Gold Dots a year or two back and he pronounced them good to go. Good enough for me.
    I have a memory of a post here by Doc, to the effect that the standard GD is good, but the +p is more gooder, hence why the +p is on the list.

Edit - The +p is 1,220 fps and the regular is 1,150.

https://www.speer.com/compare?pid0=1...d-dot&backUrl=
    Last edited by RJ; 08-06-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I have a memory of a post here by Doc, to the effect that the standard GD is good, but the +p is more gooder, hence why the +p is on the list.

Edit - The +p is 1,220 fps and the regular is 1,150.

https://www.speer.com/compare?pid0=1...d-dot&backUrl=
    Both the standard pressure 124 gr GD and HST work fine.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....086#post291086

Prdator--much like with the 124 gr GD, both the standard pressure and +P 124 gr HST work, the +P is a just a bit better for LE duty use and neither are as good as the 147 gr HST. And before you ask, the 147 gr +P HST is not quite as ideal as the standard pressure 147 gr HST.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....624#post456624

My search skills clearly need improvement...

My search skills clearly need improvement...
    Nah. I had bookmarked Doc GKR's comments in the thread because at the time I was researching what rounds I wanted to test and carry for defensive use in my Glocks.

Nah. I had bookmarked Doc GKR's comments in the thread because at the time I was researching what rounds I wanted to test and carry for defensive use in my Glocks.
    That helps, but I still should have found it.

I remain a 147gr devotee, but like to keep informed. My son just graduated from the academy and his agency issues 124+p ranger, and we were talking ammo and that sparked my curiosity about a few things.

That helps, but I still should have found it.

I remain a 147gr devotee, but like to keep informed. My son just graduated from the academy and his agency issues 124+p ranger, and we were talking ammo and that sparked my curiosity about a few things.
    Congratulations to both you and your son. I hope he has a great career.

Congratulations to both you and your son. I hope he has a great career.
    Thank you. I have mixed emotions, especially now. Still, I am proud and on the one hand feel he is an idiot for doing this now, and on the other hand respect his commitment.

I was given the honor of pinning on his badge on him at the graduation. Sort of a "blue bloods" moment.

Site Supporter
    We have issued Ranger T and its SXT predecessor for the last thirty years pretty much constantly except for a cost cutting fling with low tech Remington Express ammo for duty use during the Great Recession.
    I am not aware of any failures to fire or defective rounds reported.
    This has been .40 since 1994. No shootings to report since our last OIS was in 1980.

User Tag List