Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curious about a couple points re Gold Dot and Ranger ammo

We’ve issued Ranger T 147 gr 9mm sine 2011. No issues noted and works as designed during OIS incidents.

Site Supporter
    I became a 124 grain standard pressure Gold Dot devotee many years ago, and though my G26 is currently loaded exclusively with 147gr HST, I would go back to carrying the 124gr Gold Dot tomorrow without a second thought.

I shot a car-crippled deer with it from a 3" barreled pocket pistol. It was on the side of the road, right after a deer season in which I lost the deer I shot twice with a .50 muzzleloader. The cripple dropped instantly, and convinced me thoroughly that (1) hitting the right spot counts for more than anything, and (2) the Gold Dot works.

Anecdote is anecdote, but it puts info in your own hands.

As a service round, I defer to DocGKR, who I remember stating it was an acceptable load.

Curious about a couple points re Gold Dot and Ranger ammo

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

Edit - The +p is 1,220 fps and the regular is 1,150.
    Just a subjective observation: I shot a Mag of my newly arrived shipment of +p 124 GD yesterday through my P365XL. I have been using 147 HST mostly lately. That +p sure does pop right smartly. I don’t recall the standard pressure 124 GD feeling quite that way. Probably just me, but the small increase in velocity might be underestimating the perceived recoil of the +p.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    We’ve issued Ranger T 147 gr 9mm sine 2011. No issues noted and works as designed during OIS incidents.
    I have 500 Rounds of it and can get it at a good price.
    Good to know that it's GTG !

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Just a subjective observation: I shot a Mag of my newly arrived shipment of +p 124 GD yesterday through my P365XL. I have been using 147 HST mostly lately. That +p sure does pop right smartly. I don’t recall the standard pressure 124 GD feeling quite that way. Probably just me, but the small increase in velocity might be underestimating the perceived recoil of the +p.
    It's a personal fit thing, plus the lighter gun can make some small differences stand out more.

For me, out of Glocks (including the G26), in order of felt recoil from high to low: 124gr +P HST, then 147gr HST, 124gr +P GS and 124gr+P GD (recoil the same), then 147gr GD, 147gr GS and M882 124gr FMJ recoil the same, then 124gr FMJ AE and Lawman recoil the same, then any 115gr regular pressure. I haven't shot 115gr +P+ HPs or Winchester 127gr +P+ in a real long time, so I can't compare them.

The difference between all them isn't much at all, but for some reason the 124gr +P HSTs really stand out for me recoil, flash and noise wise.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

The 124gr. AE has approximately 11% more energy and 5% more velocity than 124gr. LM.

User Tag List