Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mounting stuff to garage joists?

Oddly there aren't trusses in that portion of the.attic, but there are in other portions. It looks like the builder intended that portion to be wide open so it could decked out and used for storage. That makes the choice to have access to that portion of the attic be through a 2x2 door in the back of a closet seem extremely stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnw View Post
    I’ve mounted Olympic ring/pull up bars to both joist and rafters, no issues. Recently mounted a pull up bar to wall studs using a stringer. Again no problems.

Based on my experience I suggest you ditch the lag bolts and go with structural screws https://www.homedepot.com/p/GRK-Fast...E&gclsrc=aw.ds. 100x easier and solid as a rock.
    Because this application would have most, if not all, the force applied parallel to the axis of the screw, instead of in sheer, wouldn't I benefit from the larger coarse threads of the lag screws? I understand that in most applications structural screws are better, but here I'm talking about just 10 screws (8 for the pull up bar, and 2 for the TRX Xmount). I'm open to hearing why the structural screws are better, and don't risk pulling out, especially when as few as 2 will have to support 180#. ???

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Because this application would have most, if not all, the force applied parallel to the axis of the screw, instead of in sheer, wouldn't I benefit from the larger coarse threads of the lag screws? I understand that in most applications structural screws are better, but here I'm talking about just 10 screws (8 for the pull up bar, and 2 for the TRX Xmount). I'm open to hearing why the structural screws are better, and don't risk pulling out, especially when as few as 2 will have to support 180#. ???
    5/16 structural screw is equivalent to 1/2” lag bolt in every way except installation. You can use either, it’s just WAY easier to install the structural screws. I don’t waste my time with lag bolts anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnw View Post
    5/16 structural screw is equivalent to 1/2” lag bolt in every way except installation. You can use either, it’s just WAY easier to install the structural screws. I don’t waste my time with lag bolts anymore.
    Interesting. I’ve never heard of those.

User Tag List