Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting stuff to garage joists?

Mounting stuff to garage joists?

Question for those in the know:

My two car garage has living space above it, so I'm not worried about hanging some shelving in there.

However, my one car has attic space only above it, and due to his it's insulation in the attic, and a sheetrock ceiling in the garage, I have no idea what size joists are up there. Should I be concerned about hanging a pull up bar (on two joists), and an "x mount" for a TRX to a single joist? I don't want to do any damage to the structure by applying a load it can't handle.

At my previous house I had exposed joists in the basement, and knew exactly what I was dealing with there, and knew it wouldn't be a problem. Although, my wife did complain about the subfloor creaking while I was using the pull up bar or TRX.

To hopefully address ahead of time criticism of suspension training, yes, I know in general I should looking to use a barbell and plates for true strength training, but money and space won't allow for that with my current situation, and for a while I won't be able to do any "heavy lifting," due to an injury. (actually a reinjury for what caused me to use the TRX years ago). I'm hoping to rebuild/maintain fitness at home, and hopefully get back on the Wendler 5 -3-1 program for strength, when the doc and PT give their blessing, and I can go back to a real gym.

Site Supporter
    No idea on the joist situation but a pull up bar and TRX ain't nothing for anyone to mock. They aren't a squat rack sure but you can do some good work with TRX and a pullup bar!

Can you see into the insulated space? What type insulation? Can you get your hand in it to feel around for a joist and expose and see or feel what height it is?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Can you see into the insulated space? What type insulation? Can you get your hand in it to feel around for a joist and expose and see or feel what height it is?
    Not easily. There is no decking in that portion of the attic, but there isframing above the joists, and blown in insulation above the joists. I'd have to shimmy along the 1.5" wide exposed framing, and then squeeze into the low roof over the garage. Frankly I'm worried my old butt will slip and fall through. At some point I'd like to add some plywood up there for light storage, but I'd also need to enlarge the access door if I'm going to do that, as the builder thought putting a 2'x2' door in the back of a closet was a good way to access that space.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Your roof trusses have at a minimum a 2x4 bottom cord, which should still easily handle a good amount of weight. There’s other considerations, but as far as shear weight adding a couple hundred pounds won’t stress it at all.

....If it has trusses. The last post he mentioned framing above the joists, so perhaps it is trusses. My dads place and moms newer place were/are both old enough theyre raftered.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

If it has trusses, which you can tell by looking through that little access hole, you will be fine mounting a pull up bar.

If it's just ceiling joists and framed rafters, I wouldn't risk it.

I’m going to hang a heavy bag in my garage. My plan was to lag bolt a 2x10 through the ceiling into the rafters spanning at least three, then attach the bag hanger to the board (if that’s a bad idea, someone please say so).

I’ve mounted Olympic ring/pull up bars to both joist and rafters, no issues. Recently mounted a pull up bar to wall studs using a stringer. Again no problems.

Based on my experience I suggest you ditch the lag bolts and go with structural screws https://www.homedepot.com/p/GRK-Fast...E&gclsrc=aw.ds. 100x easier and solid as a rock.

If you can, run something like a length of 4x4 across multiple joists to distribute the load, and you should be good to go.

User Tag List