Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting from a Tree Stand (Deer Season Questions and Comments)

The riskiest time in a ladder stand is when you get to the top of the ladder and climb onto the platform. Depending on the stand, there may not be a lot to grab onto. I've always been very deliberate when I do it, keeping three limbs in contact with the stand, like rock climbing.

Dress for the weather.
    Pull your gear up with a rope once you're in the stand.
    Carry a bottle to piss in.
    If you drop something, don't try to catch it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

One bit of practical advice: Managing the rifle while getting in and out of a tree stand is easier with a DBM. Have the magazine in an easily accessible pocket, load/unload once comfortably in your seat. Besides the obvious advantage of not dealing with loose rounds in a very tight space, the dance of getting in and out of the tree is done with an empty rifle.

Many thanks for the responses. This was a case of not knowing what you don't know. I learned quite a few valuable tips. Again, thanks, guys!

I spend 95% of my hunting time in a tree stand or saddle. Get a quality, rated harness and absolutely use a lifeline when ascending/descending.

For camo, no need to spend tons of money on gucci gear. They can help for sure, but not necessary for the situation you're proposing. Just make sure you wear something that allows you to stay warm and breaks up your outline. Movement and noise are bigger hunt-killers than appropriate camo. More deer have probably been taken by people wearing plaid in the last century than any modern camo pattern.

User Tag List