Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting from a Tree Stand (Deer Season Questions and Comments)

Hunting from a Tree Stand (Deer Season Questions and Comments)

I found hunting from a blind to inhibit my field of view and situational awareness more than I liked, so I'm going to hunt from a tree stand for the first time (this coming deer season), is there anything i need to know? Is there a harness that you would recommend?

While I'm at it, camo and clothing is a regional and personal choice, but I'm going to "plus up" my hunting clothing this year, so i'd welcome any thoughts on that as well.

Site Supporter
    What type of stand are you thinking? Ladder stand, climber, lock on?

It’s not cheap- but I’ve really enjoyed my Kryptek clothing. Despite the haters, their patterns are very effective and the clothing quality is very good. In recent years I’ve also started to use KUIU gear. Their stuff is mostly western mountain related, but their new “valo” pattern should work in a treestand pretty well. They are a good company to deal with, and will happily exchange sizes if it doesn’t fit. I suggest “upsizing” with KUIU. Ex. I wear 38” pants in KUIU, but 36” in most every other brand.

With a pistol?

Site Supporter
    Be safe! No particular harness recommendations but use one!

Clothing should be suitable for your environment and climate. What I'd wear in August season opening in SC will be very different than what I wear in VA in late Nov.

I find the pattern less important than sitting still, being quiet, and watching the wind.

Good luck and post pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    I found hunting from a blind to inhibit my field of view and situational awareness more than I liked, so I'm going to hunt from a tree stand for the first time (this coming deer season), is there anything i need to know? Is there a harness that you would recommend?

While I'm at it, camo and clothing is a regional and personal choice, but I'm going to "plus up" my hunting clothing this year, so i'd welcome any thoughts on that as well.

Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    What type of stand are you thinking? Ladder stand, climber, lock on?
    I’ll be using a ladder stand.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Be safe! No particular harness recommendations but use one!

Clothing should be suitable for your environment and climate. What I'd wear in August season opening in SC will be very different than what I wear in VA in late Nov.

I find the pattern less important than sitting still, being quiet, and watching the wind.

Good luck and post pics!
    Honestly, sitting still and being quiet has become increasingly difficult for me. I am looking forward to three solid days of hunting at least to de-clutter my mind and disengage from the constant stimulation.

I'm in the SE US, so it doesn't get real cold down here. For chilly mornings I use a blanket, either down or wool, to wrap myself in. A lot more packable than coveralls, much easier to get in and out of, and more versatile.

Many cheapo down "camp" quilts are available on Amazon that pack down to Nalgene size. Wool takes up more space but does a better job keeping your butt warm since it doesn't compress. Also a better choice if you decide to get down and post up on a hillside somewhere.

If I know ill be in a stand I always make sure I have a carabiner and rope to hang my pack.

Camo hasn't ever been much of an issue in these situations, but it really depends on where you're hunting, and what shots you'll take. When I first got started I was wearing blue jeans and a navy winter jacket. Still had deer walk right up and stare at me from 15yds away.

Holy cowl, sorry guys, I thought I posted this in General Discussion. I’m sorry. Hopefully the mods will catch my idiotic mistake and move it.

User Tag List