Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New York Seeks to Break Up National Rifle Association over Financial Malfeasance

Could this ultimately be a good thing?

If they charges are true, then WLP and all high level leadership no to go and its no longer an effective organization. As other have pointed out pro gun groups exist and can carry the mantle forward and it might be time for the current org to die given the (alleged) corruption.

Financial maleficence needs to be routed out even if its NY doing it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by karandom View Post
    Could this ultimately be a good thing?

If they charges are true, then WLP and all high level leadership no to go and its no longer an effective organization. As other have pointed out pro gun groups exist and can carry the mantle forward and it might be time for the current org to die given the (alleged) corruption.

Financial maleficence needs to be routed out even if its NY doing it in my opinion.
    No. Leticia James doesn't just want to sue the NRA and dismantle it. She wants to sue the NRA, seize the assets, and redistribute them to anti-gun causes. I want to take a minute to appreciate how completely fucking tyrannical that is.

Let's say--optimistically--Leticia only wants the cash. What she is proposing, then, is taking money contributed by NRA members across the country and turning it towards a different end. Remember, some of this money isn't just your $35/yr and instructor fees, some of it is money that members bequeathed to the NRA upon their deaths. Some of it is every red cent those people owned.

The supreme court has already held that political contributions are constitutionally-protected speech. Leticia isn't saying, "we're going to take this money and give it to GOA or NYSRPA", she's saying "we're going to take NRA money and give it to anti-gun groups". If that sounds an awful lot like a horrific attack on the First Amendment, it's because it is, and it's being perpetrated by the top law enforcement officer of the Empire State. Meanwhile, millions of New Yorkers are out of work, and the largest city in the state is, overnight, becoming Detroit. And of course, I haven't even touched on what happens if they get their hands on the Whittington Center, Fairfax, etc.

I've been as critical of the NRA and WLP as anyone, but no, this is not a fight you want to lose.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Not sure why you need to dissolve the org rather than criminally charging the leadership that committed fraud...
    They could care less about the fraud - they are going after the organization. Fraud is their excuse. If the cared about fraud the DNC would be first in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    They could care less about the fraud - they are going after the organization. Fraud is their excuse. If the cared about fraud the DNC would be first in line.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List