Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Race and police shootings

I might have missed it, have you posted links to studies that refute the one you posted? What about studies that nature of the crime and the subject's behavior have far more to do with the outcome than the race of the involved party?

What is the rate of homicide committed by blacks?

Hint: it ain't in line with their population percentage.* Raise that fact in a "Academic paper" and see what you get.

You already know. You'll be hounded out of society for wrongthink.

*Blacks are 13% of the population. They commit 50% of the murders. Actually, it's worse than that. Black "military aged males" are less than 6% of the population and

they are the ones doing the killing. Sounds to me that the police ain't killing enough.

People think cops today shoot a lot of people. They should have heard stories from guys who worked in the '50s.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    While I'm only a sample of one.

In 43 years of Law Enforcement I've lost count of the number of people I have pointed a weapon at and fully intended to use it. Some were Black and some were White.

The one time I had to press the trigger, it never entered my mind what color the suspect was. For the record, he was White. I just cared that I could see my Front Sight.

I'm sure it would enter my mind now though...
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    While I'm only a sample of one.

In 43 years of Law Enforcement I've lost count of the number of people I have pointed a weapon at and fully intended to use it. Some were Black and some were White.

The one time I had to press the trigger, it never entered my mind what color the suspect was. For the record, he was White. I just cared that I could see my Front Sight.

I'm sure it would enter my mind now though...
    I think you speak for all of us with your observation...whether having had to press the trigger, or fortunate enough to never having had to.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

If the police randomly shot people via a lottery style process then comparisons based on broad population level statistics would make sense. But that simply isn't the case, the police shoot people almost exclusively based on their connections to criminal activity. If it we remove the specific racial demographic, would we be shocked that comprises 13% (realistically 6.5% because most violence is perpetrated by males) but commits over 50% of the homicides and almost 80% of the armed robberies got shot more?

The facts remain, that if you compare the number of suspects shot to their involvement in crime, black suspects are less likely to get shot than white criminals. To me, this heavily suggests that the under policing of ethnic communities remains a problem.

This discussion is well worth listening to, and is only one of several studies reaching the same conclusion: https://youtu.be/VVkynQb7uvg
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    If the police randomly shot people via a lottery style process then comparisons based on broad population level statistics would make sense. But that simply isn't the case, the police shoot people almost exclusively based on their connections to criminal activity. If it we remove the specific racial demographic, would we be shocked that comprises 13% (realistically 6.5% because most violence is perpetrated by males) but commits over 50% of the homicides and almost 80% of the armed robberies got shot more?

The facts remain, that if you compare the number of suspects shot to their involvement in crime, black suspects are less likely to get shot than white criminals. To me, this heavily suggests that the under policing of ethnic communities remains a problem.

This discussion is well worth listening to, and is only one of several studies reaching the same conclusion: https://youtu.be/VVkynQb7uvg
    Good luck trying to find a receptive audience for those conclusions these days.

(The truth don't go around here, Mr. Kansas law dog...savvy?)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I realize this will be difficult since we can't even get people to graduate studying only Language Arts/English, Math, Science, and Social Studies, but we really ought to require a course in basic statistics in order to graduate high school (and I'd also like to se e a HS diploma be a requirement for a voting card, but I digress).

The COVID numbers have been extremely eye-opening to me both in the way that they are reported and int the way that the general public appears to view them. I don't really care about total cases, I care about cases/segment-of-population, percent positives, deaths per positives, demographics of those deaths, etc.

Same thing here.

I've heard people say that various minorities should be "half" the workforce in various desirable roles (doctors, lawyers, executives, etc.). Well (a) how is that going to work when I can't make 50% of doctors latin, 50% native american, and 50% black (not to mention the difficulty in getting to become a doctor). I wonder, though, why wouldn't then 50% of those killed by police be black?

And *then* you have to wonder, how many of those killed needed killing? You pretty much have to eliminate that from the data pool altogether. Once a fucker attacks a cop with a knife and gets himself killed, his race is irrellevent to me, except perhaps in so much as how it relates to percentage of "innocents" killed by police. and, there again, the socio-economic status of those killed is a factor too, like it or not.

Several years ago I read taht Baltimore was listing every "gun death" in the paper. So I looked up that list and started looking up the criminal records of those listed (some people make it too damn easy with the stupid names they give their kids...). I think I got something like 20 or 30 deep without finding someone on the list that didn't have an extensive record. Does that mean that homie deserved to die THAT DAY? I dunno, but it would seem to indicate (again based on his own record and the recidivism statistics) that we're probably better off without him, and we're probably better off without him reproducing.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Well, if they don't know what they are talking about, they could use the correction.
    Tilting at windmills.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    John's commentary is spot on. LISTEN to this interview, READ this guy's work.

User Tag List