Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Race and police shootings

Site Supporter

Race and police shootings

Perusing the literature as academics are prone to do, I came across:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf...53368719900357

Righteous Shoot or Racial Injustice? Wha tCrowdsourced Data Can(not) Tell Us About Police-Caused Homicide
    Malcolm D. Holmes

A discussion of methodological problems in determining whether there is bias in shootings or realistic threat evaluation that might be related to race in the sense that more members of a group have presented more threats.

It's a discussion of how the issue might be actually examined. Reviews the lit. For those interested in the issue. The article says the jury is out so to speak on the issue, due to methodological problems.

There is little doubt that racial disparities in the incidence of police-caused homicideexist today. The Mapping Police Violence website reports that 25%of those killed by police are Black, twice their percentage in the overall population. Moreover, they are 3 times more likely than Whites to be killed by police. Explaining these racial dis-parities remains problematic, however. We cannot say definitively whether the dis-proportionate representation of Blacks in police-caused homicide statistics reflects the objective threats they pose, the subjective biases of police officers, or both
    No judgments from me on the issue, just thought some might find it interesting.

Site Supporter
    As long as I'm posting articles, here's one on Mindset from a Norwegian perspective based on an evaluation of their response to the the 7/22/2011 attack.

The first one was the bomb attack on the government quarter, and the second one was the mass murder at Utøya. Both terrorist attacks were conducted by the Norwegian citizen Anders Behring Breivik.

FYI

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...at-Mindset.pdf

Oops, forgot the link.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 08-06-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Perusing the literature as academics are prone to do, I came across:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf...53368719900357

Righteous Shoot or Racial Injustice? Wha tCrowdsourced Data Can(not) Tell Us About Police-Caused Homicide
    Malcolm D. Holmes

A discussion of methodological problems in determining whether there is bias in shootings or realistic threat evaluation that might be related to race in the sense that more members of a group have presented more threats.

It's a discussion of how the issue might be actually examined. Reviews the lit. For those interested in the issue. The article says the jury is out so to speak on the issue, due to methodological problems.

No judgments from me on the issue, just thought some might find it interesting.
    We are in a post-fact world. So, being that there is no actual evidence that police are racist in their interactions with people due to race, the news media and activists will just drum some racism up where it doesn't exist. Take an outlier and sell it as the norm is the plan, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    We are in a post-fact world. So, being that there is no actual evidence that police are racist in their interactions with people due to race, the news media and activists will just drum some racism up where it doesn't exist. Take an outlier and sell it as the norm is the plan, I believe.
    It's working so far, despite the best efforts of folks like Heather Mac Donald.

Paraphrasing the character "Will Munny" from "Unforgiven": Deserve's Facts got nothing to do with it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    While quoting scholarly sources is disparaged by zealots of all political ilk, unless it serves them - at least, here's a source that one can use.

Scholarly articles that say HCQ doesn't work are denied, an article saying that we don't know about this race issue will be denied.

Perhaps, in some future utopia, the scientific method and learning how to evaluate research will be part of the population's abilities.

Nope, never happen! Just listen to your lying tribe's head asshole.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The Mapping Police Violence website reports that 25%of those killed by police are Black, twice their percentage in the overall population.
    (emphasis added)

Which is an irrelevant metric. The overall population =/= police contacts. I'm not an academic, but these sorts of things are why I put little stock in what the assorted eggheads come up with in these realms. They look at numbers without understanding context or the human factor and often seem to have a conclusion then pick the data to reach it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    One can write or contact the authors to see what they say to the critique. I just post what may of interest but have no commitment to the study. I didn't do it.

So the quote is NOT my prose.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    One can write or contact the authors to see what they say to the critique. I just post what may of interest but have no commitment to the study. I didn't do it.

So the quote is NOT my prose.
    I understand that it's not yours, it's just what you posted. I can't for the life of me imagine what the point would be of contacting any of the authors.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I understand that it's not yours, it's just what you posted. I can't for the life of me imagine what the point would be of contacting any of the authors.
    Well, if they don't know what they are talking about, they could use the correction.

Well, if they don't know what they are talking about, they could use the correction.
    I think you’re assuming they don’t know what they’re talking about, but they’re being intellectually dishonest. What’s that about liars and statistics?
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List