Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Trijicon Suing Holosun; Patent Infringement

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The first generation Romeo 1 pistol optics had recurring issues with zero shifting.
    I’m sure they did, along with other issues, documented in man y places, but I had a total of six and never had that specific issue. Some of them were run pretty hard, but most were not. Just one early example with a battery issue.

Now, the R-Zero, that’s quite another matter. I wouldn’t be caught dead with one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    But why just Holosun? Damn near every MRDS out there works in a similar fashion. I read the complaint and it was light on exactly what the alleged infringement was. Just that we came out with it and they are selling a similar product.
    How do you know its just Houlson? Maybe this is stage 1.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

May be more may be none at all. My initial reading of the first independently claim led me to think they pretty much patented the entire concept of the open emitter RDS. Unlikely as there are designs that predate the Trijicon RMR.

Upon re-reading the claim it has a lot of AND’s in there. Potentially meaning that a device needs to have all those things. Open emitter, base, posts, and buttons on the post. This may explain why no suit was brought against the V1 design, nor Vortex, Sig, Leupold... and they are now upset at the V2 designs.

I’m sure the lawyers will make a mint from the fees they bill Trijicon. Consumers will have to wait till Holosun figures out a better work around to the IP. Hopefully, in that time Trijicon will make an update to the product family that is useful for the CHL crowd.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    May be more may be none at all. My initial reading of the first independently claim led me to think they pretty much patented the entire concept of the open emitter RDS. Unlikely as there are designs that predate the Trijicon RMR.

Upon re-reading the claim it has a lot of AND’s in there. Potentially meaning that a device needs to have all those things. Open emitter, base, posts, and buttons on the post. This may explain why no suit was brought against the V1 design, nor Vortex, Sig, Leupold... and they are now upset at the V2 designs.

I’m sure the lawyers will make a mint from the fees they bill Trijicon. Consumers will have to wait till Holosun figures out a better work around to the IP. Hopefully, in that time Trijicon will make an update to the product family that is useful for the CHL crowd.
    You are on the right track. In order to infringe a patent, the accused product must have each and every feature recited in at least one claim, either literally or under the Doctrine of Equivalents.

When you read the claims, the dependent claims all add features to the independent claims. So, you only need to look at the independent claims to determine infringement.

Patent infringement suits tend to be viewed as business issues that need to be resolved like any other business issue - as inexpensively and expeditiously as possible. The two that I was personally involved in settled shortly after the complaint was filed. If, however, it does go to a full trial, than it will easily cost each side about 7 figures in attorney fees.

It appears that Holosun is discontinuing several recent models that seem to square with the feature set covered in the lawsuit.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Holosun-HE...t-w-Solar.aspx

Name:  65A5190D-5EE7-48CF-997C-F9F0695AFF9C.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  56.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Well, fuck me sideways. I guess that might explain why my 507K has had continual delays on delivery...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Name:  65A5190D-5EE7-48CF-997C-F9F0695AFF9C.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  56.8 KB
    Wonder what they changed to get them-X2 designations. Their web site still shows the regular designs. Hope it’s just a button swap.

Several potential conclusions here. All speculative.

1. HS saw that they indeed had violated the Trijicon patents, that Trijicon’s case was strong and valid, and are trying to engineer around the lawsuit.

2. HS calculated that the combination of potential damages and additional legal expenditures would far outweigh the cost of re-engineering, re-tooling and eating whatever inventories they have on the docks.

3. HS appears able to do this on extant cash flow and with the support of whatever entity backs their company. Whomever that really may be.

4. Given the time needed to redesign, re-tool, produce, and move through the supply chain, the effort was actually started some time ago. See #1 above.

Quote Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
    Question for the experienced RDS users. Just ordered my first RDS pistol, LTT 92 RDO. Provided that works out well, I will be sending my current slide for milling.

Given the pending redesign, would you just wait for the newer model with the thought that if I end up with multiple RDS having a “standard” button layout would be beneficial.

Or grab one of the current models understanding that future models will likely have a different button layout?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I'm new to rds use, but from my current perspective I don't think it matters. You are either going to set it to some sort of auto brightness, which the buttons won't be very important, or you will find a setting that you like on a manual mode and leave it there (unless it's an acro and you have to adjust every 20 minutes based on lighting conditions to maximize battery life).

The dots I've used so far (lower end stuff mostly) were fairly intuitive and didn't take much brain power to adjust once you have them initially setup.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List