Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trijicon Suing Holosun; Patent Infringement

Site Supporter
    I really hope this lawsuit doesn’t kill my hope of an “industry standard” mounting footprint ever being developed.

I could see this lawsuit hurting Trijicon in the civilian market in the long run, especially if holosun is eventually able to develop it’s own optics footprint that’s rugged and relatively easy for the industry to provide products for. Also, I think that a lot of people who bought holosun probably would have never bought an rmr due to price. see exhibit a:uncle mikes. exhibit bro mag.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    I have not practiced federal civil law in 23+ yrs. I have never practiced IP/patent law.

IIRC, Fed Rule of Civil Pro (FRCP) 38/39 indicate that civil cases between private parties are typically tried to a jury. FRCP 48 mandates a jury of 6-12 w a unanimous verdict unless otherwise agreed to.

I would ultimately defer to BillSWPA in this matter. I concur from my out of lane POV that Trijicon is not proceeding frivolously. They have six figures into this and will likely have seven if this even gets close to a trial. Pesumably, Trijicon’s pockets are deep enough for the long haul. We will see if HS can make the same commitment.

Pure speculation on my part is some of HS’s designs arguably infringe the patent +the cease/desist course + the defendant/target being non American + HS growing market penetration + a good faith belief in some infringement = this law suit.

What's interesting to me is that Trijicon didn't start sending demand letters until Holosun came out with the large button-equipped models. Previous models had small buttons lower/on the optic body, whereas current models have larger buttons on the... wings?... of the optic. Not being a patent attorney, I am genuinely curious how the V1 models did not infringe but the V2s do, reading their patent. Frankly, it seems that Trijicon's patent reads broad enough to cover virtually any open-emitter design.

I haven't seen the claim chart/exhibit 4, however, and would be interested in seeing it.

Bloomberg’s take: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...titor-s-sights

As someone who has had multiple product designs shamelessly and obviously directly copied by Chinese makers, to the point where even decoration and branding was copied, I will follow this with some interest.

What is that old saying — two is company but three is a crowd.

Name:  4C72BAB7-CFC3-4EE5-9EC7-8B03FF82F4A0.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  49.8 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What is that old saying — two is company but three is a crowd.

Name:  4C72BAB7-CFC3-4EE5-9EC7-8B03FF82F4A0.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  49.8 KB
    Can't decide if aroused or triggered...

Site Supporter
    If we think about the history of mini rds’s doctor had a sight that mounted with screws entering the sight from top in between the emitter and screen before Trijicon, and there were already various open emitter sights before Trijicon brought anything to market. They innovated with the owl-ear sight hold and were the first to have buttons on the sight hood.

I wonder if it comes down to buttons on the hood and the specific footprint of the optic, I don’t know enough about electronics to know if holosun was copying anything there.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I really hope this lawsuit doesn’t kill my hope of an “industry standard” mounting footprint ever being developed.

I could see this lawsuit hurting Trijicon in the civilian market in the long run, especially if holosun is eventually able to develop it’s own optics footprint that’s rugged and relatively easy for the industry to provide products for. Also, I think that a lot of people who bought holosun probably would have never bought an rmr due to price. see exhibit a:uncle mikes. exhibit bro mag.
    The mounting footprint is not part of the lawsuit.

I guess the only thing that surprises me is that it took someone this long to sue Holosun. If you look through their entire catalog, practically everything reminds you of a product already on the market at first glance.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I guess the only thing that surprises me is that it took someone this long to sue Holosun. If you look through their entire catalog, practically everything reminds you of a product already on the market at first glance.
    I’m surprised Leupold hasn’t sued Holosun and SIG over the shake awake technology.

User Tag List