Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From a Glock to a 2011: What to Know?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

From a Glock to a 2011: What to Know?

I have recently picked up a Staccato C2 for the sake of my own curiosity and have been slowly introducing myself to the platform. Virtually all of my trigger time has been with Glocks, so the minutia of things like operating a mechanical safety are lost on me. I am exceptionally weary of ingraining bad habits through dry-fire, so I figured I would query the experienced 1911 shooters here on what I should / not be doing while learning the platform.

At the moment, my focus has been on taking the pistol off safe on the press-out, then putting it back on safe when compressing. I have already spooked myself with not having anything happen upon pressing the trigger, so I'm curious what sort of habits I need to be ingraining for addressing / preventing that from happening (and please don't say, "Buy a Glock").

What else should a striker-fired person know about shooting this pistol?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Clean your magazines every time they touch the ground. Figure out if you are 100 percent at depressing the grip safety to reliably make the pistol go bang when you want it to. Open an Instagram account.

Your timing is a little off, as if you stayed just one platform behind Duke, you could buy all his stuff for a fraction of new cost.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    There is a wealth of info on this forum re 1911/2011.

I would go a step farther than GJM re the mags. Get yourself a set (3-6) mags that are numbered/labeled P-1 to P-x. These are your PRACTICE MAGS which are the only ones that you deliberately allow to touch the ground in addition to cleaning them after they have touched the ground. Your carry mags will be labeled C-1 to C-x and never the twain shall meet.

I know of guys that would put down some blankets, mats, padding etc. back in the old days of STI/SVI/2001/2011 "1911" widebody when the were practicing so as to keep them as nice and as in tune as possible for as long as possible. YMMV greatly.

Practice your safety on/safety off in dry fire until it is completely ingrained and then do it some more.

Trigger finger discipline and the 4 Rules in general take on even more importance when you are dealing with a gun that has a sub 5lb trigger that needs about 1/8 the distance of travel your glock does to go BANG.

I only have a few hundred rounds thru a 9mm Staccato. It was a laser beam. 0-25 and everything in between. Good luck to you.

A lot of discussion on the magazines and rightfully so. Magazines are what make the pistol run or not. With 2011 magazines, there is tuning them, concern about not locking the slide back when the magazine is empty, and followers, springs, and base pads needing replacement. I also suggest getting used to field stripping and assembly. While not difficult, it is a bit more fiddly than a modern striker-fired design.

Site Supporter
    I haven't had any magazine related issues yet. I do tend to drop mine on the deck now and again (mixture of concrete and gravel) and I have not had issues. I did notice the slide is a bit more unforgiving, i.e. if your fingers rest on the slide while shooting you tend to have issues with it going back into battery or extracting rounds. This slide issue has been more forgiving as I have broken in the gun further I also found it likes to eat the +P and nato power stuff. From what I can tell, my gun is using the Gen 2 mags, and I haven't had any issues with over inserting... yet.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Lots of dry fire drills, draws, reloads, multiple targets, moving, etc. Anything you would train with a Glock. You’ll ingrain the habit of manipulating the safety pretty quickly. Fair warning. When you go back to shooting a Glock it probably won’t lock back on an empty magazine a few times because the slide release is in about the same place as a safety on a 1911/2011.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I feel that if you are going 1911/2011, you have to go completely, as the safety operation is so critical. I switched to a 1911 for duty last year and it's all I shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    A lot of discussion on the magazines and rightfully so. Magazines are what make the pistol run or not. With 2011 magazines, there is tuning them, concern about not locking the slide back when the magazine is empty, and followers, springs, and base pads needing replacement. I also suggest getting used to field stripping and assembly. While not difficult, it is a bit more fiddly than a modern striker-fired design.
    Mags are the number one failure point in a mag fed weapon.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I only have a few hundred rounds thru a 9mm Staccato. It was a laser beam. 0-25 and everything in between.
    Yeah, I once put 15 or 20 rounds through somebody's .40 S&W 2011 set up for Limited after a match, and the ease with which it let you get good hits on steel at ~25 yards made shooting it feel like cheating. I'm not about to run out and buy one, but I definitely understand the appeal.

1) Keep it lubed. 2011s (and 1911s) have much larger areas where metal rubs against metal. Any 1911 lubrication guide will work for 2011s too.

2) Understand tinkering means fitting. OP, I don't know if you're a habitual tinkerer, but if you are, be careful. Seek professional gunsmith help, or go really slow and expect lots of trial and error. I would try to leave it stock for a while.

3) Lots of competition shooters use 2011-type pistols. The big thing here is that lots of mags are set up to not lock back. Which isn't a huge deal, just read carefully and select the right checkbox/dropdown when you buy more mags.

I think those are the big ones, besides practice with it. 2011s are super fun.

User Tag List