Thread: Liability insurance for police

Liability insurance for police

With qualified immunity evaporating, it looks like we are going to have to purchase our own liability insurance, at least for the short term before we can bargain with the city for it.

Any suggestions for companies?

Any ideas on costs?

Is it worth it?

I've got a little over two years left. I am willing to purchase this insurance myself if it allows me to work the rest of my time. I don't want to retire early.

Before I retired from federal service, I carried liability insurance made available to us from a private company. (I don't specifically remember who underwrote the policy now. It was relatively reasonable in terms of price, and was capped at $1,000,000.00) My understanding is that now Uncle Sam pays a large portion of the insurance provided via FEDS to federal agents.

Does the FOP or Union or PBA not offer coverage?

For off-duty, I recommend CCW Safe...HR 218 Plan.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I would consult with an attorney that specializes in defending cops in Fed Civil Rights cases. Maybe you could have your association fund a seminar, or get a number of associations in the area together and hold a couple of seminars. You're asking us to provide legal advice, and though I'm better in court than most of the wet behind the ears prosecutors, I'm not a lawyer. Also, if you're really worried about this, examining how to protect your assets in a civil judgment might be more worthwhile. Like trusts, divorcing your wife and putting all the property in her name, etc. Or, even more radical stuff, like going to the plaintiff's attorney and volunteering to testify against your agency/ government entity about how poorly you were trained and supervised and therefore, the taxpayers should take it in the shorts and leave you, personally, out of the suit.

Remember, this is all feel-good, blue-man bad bullshit. Having a nuke-ular plan(GWB voice) to hide all your assets and move to Florida like OJ Simpson to prevent any legal judgment from being enforced upon you should be part of your plan. But, like I said, IANAL and it might be worth spending $500 to get the advice you need.

User Tag List