Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I doubt anybody here wants a customized airgun but if you do he would be a great choice. His military background is pretty impressive too. Plenty of high speed low drag plus mixing it up in several places.
    Hes my brother from another mother without a doubt.
    I haven't quite convinced myself to drop the coin on a big bore air rifle just yet. If I do then I don't think going for custom work would be that far fetched either.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I haven't quite convinced myself to drop the coin on a big bore air rifle just yet. If I do then I don't think going for custom work would be that far fetched either.
    Im gonna post a video from a lasered head shot at 125 yards on a bird tomorrow. Check back in 😎
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Im gonna post a video from a lasered head shot at 125 yards on a bird tomorrow. Check back in 😎
    So I said that before I watched the vid. Its not a head shot but it is a hit. From a barrel that went to Puerto Rico I believe.

https://streamable.com/55dovb

Recently the Benjamin Bulldog. A friend across the pond turned me on to the amount of use they get in the UK and Europe. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of dropping $700 plus on a pellet rifle but I'm slowly convincing myself that if I can find a way to cast pellets then it might be a worthwhile, long-term investment.
    Just noticed what you said about casting pellets. My buddy actually builds molds for bullets, not pellets which is what I believe is the route to go for power. I think if you ever talk to him about it he would tell you to buy them. But if you wanted to roll your own he could take you down that path.

ETA If you are thinking about buying one, Id give him a call first he knows the market, pluses and minuses of different brands and who is having problems with what, help you make sure its something that will meet long term goals.
    Just pm me if you are ever interested and Ill give you his contact info.
    Last edited by UNK; 09-20-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Just noticed what you said about casting pellets. My buddy actually builds molds for bullets, not pellets which is what I believe is the route to go for power. I think if you ever talk to him about it he would tell you to buy them. But if you wanted to roll your own he could take you down that path.

ETA If you are thinking about buying one, Id give him a call first he knows the market, pluses and minuses of different brands and who is having problems with what, help you make sure its something that will meet long term goals.
    Just pm me if you are ever interested and Ill give you his contact info.

Thanks for that information and offer. I have the ability to cast .38 and .32 caliber bullets but I buy them out of preference. Casting is a lot of work however, having the ability to cast in times like this when it's difficult to buy components is the entire reason that I acquired the stuff to cast with, if that makes sense.
    Julius Caesar

Thanks for that information and offer. I have the ability to cast .38 and .32 caliber bullets but I buy them out of preference. Casting is a lot of work however, having the ability to cast in times like this when it's difficult to buy components is the entire reason that I acquired the stuff to cast with, if that makes sense.
    Yup i got you. My buddy built a press vs casting. Not really sure what you call it when you use a press.
    Dont know anything about casting but i do know airgun barrels and projectiles are precise in sizing.

Yup i got you. My buddy built a press vs casting. Not really sure what you call it when you use a press.
    Dont know anything about casting but i do know airgun barrels and projectiles are precise in sizing.
    He’s probably swaging the bullets. I have a combination luber/sizer that does the same thing while filling the lube grooves with bullet lube. It’s a fairly laborious process as everything is done in singles or pairs. It’s certainly not worth the effort for ‘mass production’ for shooting matches and general practice.

Even with all the labor involved, I’m becoming more convinced that the ability to produce and shoot projectiles without the logistical limitations imposed by social issues such as we’re facing now can not be over stated.
    Julius Caesar

He’s probably swaging the bullets. I have a combination luber/sizer that does the same thing while filling the lube grooves with bullet lube. It’s a fairly laborious process as everything is done in singles or pairs. It’s certainly not worth the effort for ‘mass production’ for shooting matches and general practice.

Even with all the labor involved, I’m becoming more convinced that the ability to produce and shoot projectiles without the logistical limitations imposed by social issues such as we’re facing now can not be over stated.
    Yes thats it swaging. He built a machine for it so he can crank them out pretty quick. I agree the more independent you are or can be the better.

Now you’ve made me kinda curious too. Ive always admired his work but didnt seriously look at them from the viewpoint you have expressed.
    Im not sure what kind of work you want to do with a big bore so I asked him if he had done any big bore work. He told me about a guy who was kind of deep into it, using helium as his propellant. Apparently it was a big dollar investment, with most of the cost going to support equipment. Anyway my buddy designed a valve for him, shooting 210 gn .308 projectiles. The power levels and velocities were the same as .300BO subsonics.
    I really dont think theres anything he cant do, he’s a really smart guy, a very talented machinist, but mostly he is just super inquisitive, and really likes difficult tasks.
    At one point I remember he was curious about freezing points so he started experimenting with salt and ice. He came up with a formula when he pulled an aluminum can drink from a cooler it was cold enough to sheath the can in a thin coat of ice. I know silly example but thats his nature.

shooting 210 gn .308 projectiles. The power levels and velocities were the same as .300BO subsonics.
    My attention, you have it.

User Tag List