Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Factory 9mm 1911 milled for RDS (RMR preferred)

Sadly when it comes to production 1911's there aren't any options. Like others stated you either need to go into the 2011 world (STI) or the semi custom one. Wilson Nighthawk and Guncrafter offer all milling options from their shops. I have Nighthawk Shadowhawk Commander that came with a RMR cut and its been great. Thew new Nighthawk IOS system is also worth a look as well.

In aftermarket mounts, the Chambers RDSM can be had for about $350 installed with only a week or two lead time. It's a very low mount with the iron sight ahead of the optic. I have them on two guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakus View Post
    One option you should explore is the Dan Wesson Custom shop. I'm not sure what the costs would be, but they will customize any of their factory offerings, and I do believe RMR cuts is a service they offer.

https://danwessonfirearms.com/custom/

It's not an off the shelf offering, but it would be a well known 1911 platform being modified by the OEM.
    Yes, Dan Wesson will do an RMR cut. They're not taking orders for custom guns at the moment, but I believe they will still do custom work on existing guns.

EDCx9

to the OP......I know this doesn't meet all your requirements....but I love this one....
    Name:  61777301838__561434CC-40B8-42D9-953D-C70C158708C6.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  40.7 KB

It's under your budget but Kimber has these out now: https://www.kimberamerica.com/stainless-lw-oi

I glanced at one last week but the idea is interesting enough that I might go back and look at it seriously.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
    In aftermarket mounts, the Chambers RDSM can be had for about $350 installed with only a week or two lead time. It's a very low mount with the iron sight ahead of the optic. I have them on two guns.
    Beat me to recommending Chambers. With the budget given, buy a Dan Wesson, a lightly used on, or a Gov Vigil new for a lighter carry gun, and you can send just the slide for milling. No shipping the whole gun mess.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Since we are off-track...

While I don't own any of these products, CHPWS seems like a company doing the right things.

There is a new CROSS cut type system that is supposedly the lowest system. I have been patient about getting my 2019 4.15" P milled, but this might be what I do.

THAT SAID, there are 2 links on his Slide Milling page. One is a 1911/2011 CROSS Page, and the other is a Staccato 2011 DUO Page (where you can select CROSS or DUO).

From the pictures, its looks like CROSS photos have a pretty high rear sight. The 2011 DUO page shows a much shorter rear. All are 10-8 U-Notch, which I like.

1911/2011 CROSS:
    https://chpws.com/product/1911-2011-...ar-sight-plate

2011 DUO:
    https://chpws.com/product/1911-2011-...-adapter-plate

From the Staccato DUO page. Are these standard height sights???

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    Since we are off-track...

While I don't own any of these products, CHPWS seems like a company doing the right things.

There is a new CROSS cut type system that is supposedly the lowest system. I have been patient about getting my 2019 4.15" P milled, but this might be what I do.

THAT SAID, there are 2 links on his Slide Milling page. One is a 1911/2011 CROSS Page, and the other is a Staccato 2011 DUO Page (where you can select CROSS or DUO).

From the pictures, its looks like CROSS photos have a pretty high rear sight. The 2011 DUO page shows a much shorter rear. All are 10-8 U-Notch, which I like.

1911/2011 CROSS:
    https://chpws.com/product/1911-2011-...ar-sight-plate

2011 DUO:
    https://chpws.com/product/1911-2011-...-adapter-plate

From the Staccato DUO page. Are these standard height sights???
    I had CHPWS mill a marauder for the DUO cut for me. With their ACRO plate the sights are very low, I think the front is a .195. Super happy with the results all around, will take some pics if you'd like, just give me a day or two.

Site Supporter
    Did you have any issues after yours was done? Got mine back today and had a lot of issues with the firing pin stop. I am not sure how he got it back on to ship it back to me, but as soon as it got on the gun it locked up tight and I had to have the firing pin stop fitted. I will see how it goes when I shoot it, but I am really worried how the function will be. I think if I have anything done in the future I will use CHPWS as their milling leaves the rear stock. It also looks like it sits lower.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Andy T.

I had the milling done by ZR Tactical Solutions. They milled my slide and supplied the Trijicon Mount and Front sight and did the installation. They did a great job, and turnaround was fast. I customized the Novak Rail and did the installation on it and all other work on my pistol. I really love the pistol and the way it turned out. Hope this helps.

Attachment 58543

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Did you have any issues after yours was done? Got mine back today and had a lot of issues with the firing pin stop. I am not sure how he got it back on to ship it back to me, but as soon as it got on the gun it locked up tight and I had to have the firing pin stop fitted. I will see how it goes when I shoot it, but I am really worried how the function will be. I think if I have anything done in the future I will use CHPWS as their milling leaves the rear stock. It also looks like it sits lower.
    No issues at all pistol functions fine and everything fits as it should.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

User Tag List