Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery Ranch fans? Opinions please

I have a number of Mystery Ranch packs. Some work well and ride comfortably, and some just do not. I would want to definitely try the specific model on. By contrast, all my Arcteryx packs have been comfortable.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have a number of Mystery Ranch packs. Some work well and ride comfortably, and some just do not. I would want to definitely try the specific model on. By contrast, all my Arcteryx packs have been comfortable.
    Interested in as much additional detail as you care to provide.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Interested in as much additional detail as you care to provide.
    My Crew Cabs fit good and haul big loads of meat, but a number of my smaller MR packs don’t carry comfortably. The last few years, I have used a Kuiu pack for day hunting. MR a has a bunch of packs, so I would just try before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Test driving is always the best option.

I hunted out of an Arcteryx Bora 80 for a number of seasons. For me it was a great pack if you kept the load under 50lbs. Above 50lbs it became a torture device. I started using a MR Crewcab with load cells in 2007 and find it far more comfortable overall. I've carried many 120lb to 150lb loads with it and never reached a point where I wanted to burn the pack.

Mystery Ranch has long made great packs. Most are now made overseas, if it matters to you.

I've had a 3DAP for over 10 years and still love it. It has held up well. Their use of 500d material and lots of heavy, beefy zippers make the packs heavier than some other options.

It just depends on what you want in a pack and how you will use it. These days, my primary backpacking bag is a ULA Circuit and I find it hard to beat when balancing weight, price, etc. Even the smaller MR packs weigh more than the ULA at 60 + liters. But if long distance hiking isn't in the cards, weight isn't as much of a consideration.

We are lucky these days. There's lots of great packs available.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Test driving is always the best option.

I hunted out of an Arcteryx Bora 80 for a number of seasons. For me it was a great pack if you kept the load under 50lbs. Above 50lbs it became a torture device. I started using a MR Crewcab with load cells in 2007 and find it far more comfortable overall. I've carried many 120lb to 150lb loads with it and never reached a point where I wanted to burn the pack.
    That is really funny. The Bora 80 was bought as my Brooks Range sheep hunting pack, and I have used a Crew Cab since they came out to pack moose, elk and caribou. 120-150 pound loads isn’t happening for me these days, as I have suffered with too many moose quarters. My idea of moose packing now is an Aire inflatable canoe.

I think both REI and Amazon sell Mystery Ranch packs. I would buy both to figure out which one fits best and return the other ones.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for all the information guys! I just got back from a hurricane evacuation that turned into a work trip so just now getting to read these. I’m looking pretty much at Mystery Ranch due to the significant mil discount and familiarity with their larger packs from work. I have several friends that are issued their packs and they speak very highly of the durability and warranty. I would love Arc’teryx but alas, I don’t have the apparent finances of certain members among us (and no discount)!! Leaning towards the 40 from your advice and the fact I have a smaller Edc bag.

Again thanks.

User Tag List