Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clear coat is failing! Options and Advice?

Car dealerships have vendors who do on site painting that are much cheaper than body shops. So make some calls to dealerships and find out who does there touch up paint work and get phone numbers and talk to those guys. They will steer you in the right direction and are much (like half) cheaper.

The vehicle looks like much sun exposure and or is a re-paint.

The hood alone is like $500-$700 at least to shoot.

"A buddy of mine had his Jeep repainted in El Paso for $700"

As an ex-resident of the fine city of El Paso, that line brought to mind a story line for at least one movie and/or a 6-part mini-series!

I’ve been through that, but on a three year old Chevy. I’ve still not forgiven GM.
    #RESIST

1)We keep cars until I have to pay someone to haul them away.

2)I've had to deal with similar stuff twice.

3)What I have done: buy N rattlecans of appropriate paint. Sand off old stuff to level. Be anal retentive spraying with sandable filler and primer. Spray rattle cans. Buff/polish/etc. It ends up looking like the rest of the car. Even if you paint the whole car it ends up being a couple hundred bucks.

4)Disclaimer: I recall talking to a salesman when buying a new car (truck) once. I had questions about maintenance cycles etc. He kept asking 'Could you see yourself driving this' while pushing a picture of 'Sunrise Yellow Metallic' across the desk. I finally replied 'you can whitewash it with a brush for all I care'. So I'm happy with any paint job that keeps it from rusting. That said, when doing #2 and #3, to my uncritical eye, the resulting job looks as good as any other car of similar vintage. YMMV.

sand, primer and roll w high density roller - rustoleum & mineral spirts mixed.
    whichever kid you;re planning to gift this to, make that him do a ll the work. just need a garage

did my bike like this and people were asking if it was a Ducati ( was really a budget Suzuik)

1) Do what @Navin Johnson said and get some names as you need more quotes and may find someone who moonlights on the side.
    ETA: Call around to some auto paint suppliers in your area. They are a wealth of info and can probably steer you to someone.

2) Have you thought about doing it yourself? I ask because you said you got rattle can to look decent so you obviously have an idea of what to do. I've sprayed a lot of basecoat/clearcoat and you can get some "off brand" paints that are just about as good as the 1st line products for much less money. I like Omni brand base/clears for a discount brand and never had any trouble with them. It's actually made and marketed by PPG. Dupont makes Nason branded paints that are cheaper than Du Pont. They'll look good for at least 5 years and probably more. You could probably buy the paint, supplies and a Devilbiss HPLV gravity feed gun for well under $1000, for sure less money if you go with a 1K paint system.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 08-04-2020 at 11:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    A quick fix is finding a guy who makes $15 per hour painting cars at a body shop and then pay him $25 per hour to reapply clear coat to your vehicle at your place after he correctly preps surfaces. Materials and labor plus beer and fried chicken should be most reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I am seeing numbers of middle aged vehicles like that. Did we get environmentally conscious about then and go to less durable paint? Sorry, I don't have an answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’ve been through that, but on a three year old Chevy. I’ve still not forgiven GM.
    I can't fathom how the automakers haven't figured it out yet. Remember the Dodge clearcoat peeling off of everything in about a year some years back? Waterborne paints.

I can't tell you how many gallons of waterborne epoxy primers and topcoats from about 8 different manufacturers I've sprayed on aircraft parts and they don't do that shit. Deft, Azko Nobel, PPG, Du Pont, Sherwin Williams....they all figured it out in the '80s.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    A quick fix is finding a guy who makes $15 per hour painting cars at a body shop and then pay him $25 per hour to reapply clear coat to your vehicle at your place after he correctly preps surfaces. Materials and labor plus beer and fried chicken should be most reasonable.
    This.

I don't know why I didn't think of that - my stepfather used to be a rebuilder on the side - he was the parts manager at a large Ford dealership and bought wrecked Fords to rebuild. He had one of the body shop guys from the dealership paint all his cars.

Cash money.

Another avenue might be go to the local high school and hit up the auto body teacher to find out who might need a project, or who would do a good job. Although you'd be without the vehicle longer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    This.

I don't know why I didn't think of that - my stepfather used to be a rebuilder on the side - he was the parts manager at a large Ford dealership and bought wrecked Fords to rebuild. He had one of the body shop guys from the dealership paint all his cars.

Cash money.

Another avenue might be go to the local high school and hit up the auto body teacher to find out who might need a project, or who would do a good job. Although you'd be without the vehicle longer.
    Stay away from the high school crowd. A vocational college, if it teaches this technology, is one choice. Downside is having no control of the process and the fact that there will be one delay after another. Believe me when I say nobody will care. And there may be a shop fee plus other surprises. You will get a bill without being told the amount in advance. I paid a kid from a dealership to paint my Tonga Truck 2001 Tacoma. Paint and other supplies were about $1000. Perfect job. I gave him a Mossberg pump which is what he wanted. I have used prison based vocational programs for auto repair with outstanding results. I'm out of date on convicts, but my experience was that they took immense pride in their work.

User Tag List