Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clear coat is failing! Options and Advice?

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Clear coat is failing! Options and Advice?

I have a 2005 Toyota 4Runner with just over 90,000 miles. As I don't have $40K+ for a new rig and 90K miles is just a baby for a 4Runner - I intend on driving it for another 7 years until my oldest boy starts driving and then pass it to my kids. The only real issue with it is that the clear coat has almost fully failed on the hood and pax side fenders and is beginning to fail on the pax side roof. I plasti-dipped the fenders last year and they turned out all right but I'm not really wanting to spray the whole rig with a rattle can. I have taken it to a local body shop and they quoted me $4K for a repaint and clear coat with a turn around time of 2 weeks (I'd rather not be without my truck that long) - that kind of took me back so I stopped by the Maaco across the bay in "the hood" and they quoted me $3500 for a repaint and clear coat and $2100 for a repaint using a 1 step poly-urethane paint. A buddy of mine had his jeep repainted in El Paso for $700 so I don't know if this is just another "cost" of living in Kalifornia), if I'm getting screwed, or what?

I want the truck to look good but it doesn't have to be "showroom." It is my overlanding rig so gets scratches in it and this is one of my biggest concerns about going with a one step urethane pain - if I get a scratch, how bad will it look? I'm assuming that I will still have the original factory paint underneath so maybe the urethane will essentially act like a "new clear coat"?

Anyhow I'm looking for suggestions and advice on what to do.

Name:  IMG_2158.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  86.9 KB

Do a wrap.

Tagging in... my 20 year old tundra could use some paint love.

Curious to see options and opinions.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I am seeing numbers of middle aged vehicles like that. Did we get environmentally conscious about then and go to less durable paint? Sorry, I don't have an answer.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I don't know that a wrap would be a good option since they tend to only last a few years, and a good one will cost as much if not more than you were quoted for the repaint.

The ~$4k price seems pretty in line with what I'd expect a quality shop to charge for something like that.

It's been a while since I worked in the car industry, but based on the knowledge I had at that time I wouldn't let Maaco touch one of my vehicles no matter how much cheaper the quote was. $700 for a repaint seems pretty unrealistic for a decent full paint job unless it was a cartel shop and he had to use it to smuggle something across the border.

I've seen a few vehicles around here that were fully coated with truck bed liner, and on the right rig it looks pretty cool and should be more durable than paint for overloading. I'm not sure what the cost for that would be though.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I know a couple guys with wraps, on cars and trucks. They look good. I'd vote for that, but idk how well it'd hold up to getting whacked with brush on the trail.

Site Supporter

Cool

This link may provide information. http://www.thedrive.com

I remember having seen a section on this topic.

Site Supporter
    I wouldn't want a $700 paint job and I'm not sure I'd pay Maaco to paint my lawn mower. $4k is a lot less than a $40k new rig. I'd get a couple other quotes from other quality body/paint shops and roll with waht you feel is the best value. The previously suggested wrap is another good suggestion. I dont have personal experience with a wrap personally but understand they can be pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I am seeing numbers of middle aged vehicles like that. Did we get environmentally conscious about then and go to less durable paint? Sorry, I don't have an answer.
    If memory serves, there was a move away from VOC based paints & finishes to water based.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Rattle can it flat black like a 55 Chevy.

User Tag List