Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best option for current, off-the-shelf 3" .357? King Cobra vs 66 vs Ruger vs Kimber?

If I’m strictly applying your rules of “off the shelf” and “NEW” I’d recommend taking a hard look at the K6s with the only addition being the new Hogue bantam grips. Though the other revolvers on the list are excellent, each of them would require me to do some fine tuning for my preference. The K6s comes “off the shelf” with sight options and a super slick action. For me, the K6s shoots like a larger framed revolver with the Hogue grips.

If you plan on running a “torture test” sized round count of max pressure magnums then the GP100 would get the nod.

If you didn’t mind investing in enhancements, don’t intend on running solely max pressure magnum loads, the S&W K frame might be the top runner with a smooth and tune action job, aftermarket grips and upgraded sights.

Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    If I’m strictly applying your rules of “off the shelf” and “NEW” I’d recommend taking a hard look at the K6s with the only addition being the new Hogue bantam grips. Though the other revolvers on the list are excellent, each of them would require me to do some fine tuning for my preference. The K6s comes “off the shelf” with sight options and a super slick action. For me, the K6s shoots like a larger framed revolver with the Hogue grips.

If you plan on running a “torture test” sized round count of max pressure magnums then the GP100 would get the nod.

If you didn’t mind investing in enhancements, don’t intend on running solely max pressure magnum loads, the S&W K frame might be the top runner with a smooth and tune action job, aftermarket grips and upgraded sights.
    Can you upgrade the sights? Is there anybody making sights? I ask because I had a pro series j frame and my plan goi g into it was put a bigger notch blade on the rear but there isnt any available.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Can you upgrade the sights? Is there anybody making sights? I ask because I had a pro series j frame and my plan goi g into it was put a bigger notch blade on the rear but there isnt any available.
    For the K frame S&Ws with a pinned front sight there are plenty of options. I don’t think there are for the J frame Pro series.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I'll probably regret this*, but there's a 3" Ruger GP100 for sale right here on P-F by @awp_101

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....quot-357-GP100

*regret because I'm sorely tempted to buy this myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Jeebus. If I hadn't dropped six bills on a Model 14 ten days ago, I might be all over this.
    Not to mention that I'm dropping about a kilobuck on critter dental work later this week...
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I've found that 3 inch .357 revolvers can be very accurate. I have a 2.5'' model 19 smith that shoots very well at 25 yards and actually it's decent at 50 yards. Most people would laugh at that but that's my experience with my 19. For that reason I would recommend adjustable sights. Of course if it's to be a carry you would wouldn't need or want those.

Ruger seems to be way ahead of the revolver game these days and their support is exceptional. The older K frame smiths are very desirable and people snap up those 19's and 66's up pretty fast. I think they're a little light for heavy factory loads tho. I have several and load down to about 900 fps using fast powder to keep them in top condition.

I would caution you about new smiths. Most people who know won't buy those, including me. I have a bunch of older ones and I prefer those to Rugers, but new it would have to be a Ruger.

4" GP-100 would be a very good choice because of the adj. sights if you shoot a lot. Otherwise the 3" would be more desirable IMO. 4" w/ adj sights is truly the sweet spot for revolvers.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

The light weight of the Kimber makes it an everyday carry for me. Many don't mind the extra weight of the other choices but I'd much prefer the lighter weight on the belt of the Kimber. As others have said though, it depends on what you want to use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Not to mention that I'm dropping about a kilobuck on critter dental work later this week...
    That’s why they make soft pet food...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    That’s why they make soft pet food...

"The hell you say!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"The hell you say!"
    “All-Pet - Now with extra Ensure!”
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I would caution you about new smiths. Most people who know won't buy those, including me.
    I think @03RN would disagree. He has a pretty nice newish Model 66, I believe.

There are two newish Model 60s in my household (-13 and -15), both 3". They've been reliable guns, though they're not really range toys.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List