Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Best option for current, off-the-shelf 3" .357? King Cobra vs 66 vs Ruger vs Kimber?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I'm not opposed to someone correcting me that a six shot SP-101 is exactly what a K6 Kimber is. Mostly because it would save me money.
    As long as they both stay concealed, you can keep telling yourself that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastmike View Post
    Not even in the same ballpark in my humble opinion. You need to dry fire a K6s. It is the best revolver trigger I have ever felt ( and I own a vintage Colt Python I bought new in 1981 ). Fit, finish, and cylinder lock up are far above Ruger standards also.
    I have dry fired a K6S or two at an LGS. They were nothing special, IMO. My slicked up GP is a fair bit better.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastmike View Post
    Not even in the same ballpark in my humble opinion. You need to dry fire a K6s. It is the best revolver trigger I have ever felt ( and I own a vintage Colt Python I bought new in 1981 ). Fit, finish, and cylinder lock up are far above Ruger standards also.

I do not hate Ruger, I own several, this is just my observation.
    I tend to agree - I’ve never owned a SP101 but have fired many, and my K6s continues to impress the heck out of me.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Please do, I've no doubt the entertainment value of this article would be off the chart..
    Look at post #84 for the link.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    As long as they both stay concealed, you can keep telling yourself that.

I have dry fired a K6S or two at an LGS. They were nothing special, IMO. My slicked up GP is a fair bit better.
    Understood, but that’s a “slicked” up GP. The K6s factory, off the shelf trigger is exceptional when compared to other factory, off the shelf, current production, new DA revolvers per the OP. Since it’s basically a S&W design you can “slick” it up a wee bit more with a standard S&W smooth and tune treatment. Per the OP spec of “off the shelf” there isn’t another revolver that comes fresh out of the factory box with such a sweet action.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Look at post #84 for the link.
    Thanks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    See title. I'm looking at options for a NEW off-the-shelf 3 inch-ish .357 wheelgun. I don't have a strong preference one way or the other regarding adjustable sights. I DO have a preference for reliability & durability. Price is not a consideration right now, but I'm not looking for Korth/Manurhin prices. I'm also not interested in the used market right now.

Here are the guns I'm weighing:

Colt King Cobra (approx $1k on Gunbroker)
    https://www.colt.com/detail-page/king-cobra-357

Smith & Wesson 66 Combat Magnum (approx $800 on GB)
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-combat-magnum

Ruger GP100 (approx $??? on GB)
    https://www.ruger.com/products/gp100...eets/1752.html

Kimber (approx $950 on GB)
    https://www.kimberamerica.com/k6s-da-sa-3-1

I've looked through the posts and see issues with almost all these options.
    Almost all manufacturers have so-so QA (if any at all) and buyers sometimes have issues. Potentially you could be one of those buyers no matter which gun you buy.

The Ruger is the larger of the revolvers on your list, which may be a positive or negative depending on your needs. My subjective opinion is the new King Cobra has the nicer trigger of the bunch. Bear in mind that given the subpar QA there will be variances in triggers between the same models rolling off the assembly line, so you could have a Lemon trigger.

Apologies for sounding negative, but given the (lack of) quality standards of firearms produced today I am.

One upside is that S&W has address the forcing cone issues on the K frame so the new mod 66 should be very robust.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    As a follow-up to my earlier post(s), a short addition on "general purpose" holsters for my "general purpose" revolver...

I wanted an OWB holster that would allow me to wear strong-side or cross-draw, and I wanted a hammer strap. The latter might be an old guy thing, but whaddaya gonna do? The two tried so far are a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake and a DeSantis Dual Angle Hunter; the former is recent, the latter has been on gn's island of forgotten holsters since the Great Revolver Purge.
    Following up on the follow-up, a Bianchi 111 Cyclone has been added to the gallery of "current, off-the-shelf" GP100 holsters, making it a trio so far. This 111 is, unfortunately, suede lined, which was disappointing but not entirely unexpected; not super-smooth suede, mind you... but if you ordered one described as suede-lined (even in teeny, tiny, kitten-sized fine print you had to hunt for... or somehow ignored), my guess is that it is going to show up with suede-lining.

I will give it props for a tight initial thumbstrap fit and clean lines (IIRC, Red Nichols designed this series). The crossdraw option is pretty good as far as the angle goes, and the leather itself is not too bad, considering. Any front sight blade over the standard 4" GP100 height might be problematic in this example. Of the three tried so far, this 111 may turn out to be the most cost-effective and "universal" of the lot, but nothing so far has leaped out in front. The nostalgic part of me tells me to settle on this one, possibly since the first "good" holsters I ever owned were 1970's Bianchis.

On the other hand, nostalgia has occasionally gotten my butt swatted with a rolled-up gun rag, metaphorically speaking.

Name:  IMG_2531.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  60.0 KB
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I meant to ask this earlier, but what grips are those? They look like the normal, classic "target grips", but round butt.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I meant to ask this earlier, but what grips are those? They look like the normal, classic "target grips", but round butt.
    Thai grips from ebay. I forget which seller

User Tag List