Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RMR Care

If I can see the dot, it doesn't need cleaning. More optics are damaged by over-cleaning than dirt.

Site Supporter
    I haven't "cleaned" an RMR yet. Keep a can of air to blow dust/lint out and carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I haven't "cleaned" an RMR yet. Keep a can of air to blow dust/lint out and carry on.
    Wait, you shoot a 1911 with a red dot, and don't coat the dot's lens with lube? Along with your shirt, face and safety glasses?

Clearly, you are not putting enough oil on your 1911.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Wait, you shoot a 1911 with a red dot, and don't coat the dot's lens with lube? Along with your shirt, face and safety glasses?

Clearly, you are not putting enough oil on your 1911.
    No dotted 1911s........yet.

Some things I do with my RMR from my two years of using them
    •use brand new, clean screws each time you mount the optic
    •witness mark the mounting screws once you torque them to spec
    •witness mark the windage and elevation knobs once you finish verifying zero
    I use this paint pen, it tends to rub off on the windage knob since it rides against my cover garment
    •cat crap/scope dope (same formula) on the inside and outside of the optic lens and some on the emitter lens
    You can use a q tip behind a microfiber cloth to get to the emitter
    •use a Duracell battery
    Duracell batteries are more consistent in size which is beneficial for preventing the battery from losing contact with the connectors of the optic, I even put the "baby sticker" on the battery to give it less space to potentially wiggle out even on my Type 2 RMR. Some people put electrical tape, a thin piece of cardboard etc

People think optics will render your gun useless if it gets fogged up, dies or gets water on the emitter. It's important to learn various optic failure techniques such as the guillotine method or occluded eye shooting should the optic window become blocked. I try my best to routinely treat my optics with lens cleaner but I am not under the illusion that you cannot shoot if the optic gets blocked. BJ Norris iirc shoots his optics even with a bunch of carbon residue on the window.

User Tag List