Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RMR Care

RMR Care

Alright, so I'm kind of a neanderthal, especially when it comes to gun maintenance. I guess that's why I shoot a Glock. Anyway, about 3 months ago I got my first two Trijicon RMR's. One rides piggyback on my TA11 ACOG (legit worldbeater setup, don't let the naysayers tell you about "chinweld") and the other on a G19.5 MOS in a Wang plate. The one on the Glock gets garbage on the lens because I daily carry it. I've swiped it with my shirt tail a few times because there were too many little frags of dot projection all over the glass, but I cringed while doing it.

What's the proper way to keep this lens clean and scratch-free for as long as possible since it's about a $500 investment?

Thanks!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

As a fellow Neanderthal, I do the same shirt technique. I’m not real worried and I’ve yet to see any damage to the lens. I imagine you would have to have something harder than lint or belly hair on the lens in order to scratch it.

Obviously not for carry use, but when my RMR/SRO is not in use it wears one of these. It works best with the OEM or FCD plates; the CHWPS plate puts the optic too close to the rear sight for a tight fit. Cheap insurance at $5 each.

Dream Plastics Scope Cover for Trijicon RMR (2 Pack)
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 08-04-2020 at 11:11 AM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    I carry mine, too, often in an open top straight drop holster. It can and does catch crap. On the dresser where I empty my pocket I have a lens pen, a package of lens paper, and a Harbor Freight microfiber cloth. When I put my gun on, I pull it, look for the dot, make sure that it still cowitnesses, then brush/wipe as necessary. Which tool I use depends on how quick I need to get out the door. If I have, literally two minutes I will brush and/or squeegee with the lens pen. One minute a piece of lens tissue. If I had leave five minutes ago checking dot and co-witness lets me decide if I need to clean it, and If I do, microfiber cloth does the job. I vastly prefer the lens pen, but my guns get exposed to sand a bunch.

Also, when shooting schedules leave powder residue on lenses, whether sight or light, disposable alcohol wipes from the diabetic section of the pharmacy works rather nicely. Started with my Aimpoint years ago, then my WMLs, then I graduated to higher end magnified optics, and finally my RMR.

pat

Site Supporter
    Cat Crap Anti Fog.

https://www.amazon.com/EK-USA-Crap-A.../dp/B003RLJ6UE

Besides being anti fog it helps keep at least some of the lint etc from staying on the lense.

I use a can of compressed air, like the kind for computer keyboards, and disposable lens wipes. I think they're made by Zeiss, and they come in a box of 200 or so at Walmart. my RMR's are three years old now and are still fine

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

One bad experience with a Lens Pen has made me reluctant to use them. The pad on the tip separated. Since then I take extra care to inspect the Lens Pen before use, but I don't reach for them routinely.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Blow off lens with canned air

Use Leupold lens pen brush to brush lens

Blow off lens again

Use Leupold lens pen cleaning tip on lens

Blow off lens again

Use slightly damp (water) Q-tip on lens

Blow off lens again

Finish with lens cleaning cloth

Keep optic covered with Range Panda optic cover when not in use

Cleaning process described takes about 90 seconds and is performed after every use of the gun

Oops; 1911Nut beat me to much of the following. Although I'd not clean lens if it's not noticeably dirty.

Lots of decades with glass and "plastic" lenses. Eyewear, cameras, lab equipment, etc.

First rule: Pressure is bad. Don't "rub" lenses. Start with air. But if using "canned air", don't turn it upside down, per directions. Blow off all the dust you can, gently. At an angle, so dust will go off, and not into corners (yeah, hard to do on red dots).

Most all of the "gentle" lens-specific cleaners will work. Lens pens, sensor swabs, microfiber cloths - - - as long as they're new. Not dirty with micro abrasive "dust" or contaminated with oils from skin, or . . . guns. Don't use Q-tips; they can scratch some lenses. Never, ever on paper towels; I swear, they'll scratch diamonds. And toss micro cloths in the washing machine occasionally. If you hand wash, make sure the soap is really rinsed out, or you'll see new streaks on your lens. A friend told me that. Keep a microfiber cloth in your bag. But keep the cloth in a zip lock bag.

Some liquid cleaners will help remove smudges or stuck-on particles. Most optical shops have combo packages of cleaner and micro fiber material. Better yet, seek out manufacturers' recommendations.

Air first, gentle wipe, "chemical" as last resort.

Oh, and make sure the "dust particle" is not a ding from a shell casing. Those won't wipe off. Yeah, another friend . . .

Now, since I regularly sin and huff on my dots to blow off what I can, at least hold the dot overhead and blow upward. You'll get much less moisture on the lens' surface.

User Tag List