Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trump moves to limit TVA CEO pay, fire him, & stop outsourcing

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Exactly the question I've been wondering about...(because you can't have it both ways).
    It's regression to the mean. We're not bringing them up to our standard of living, but bringing us down to theirs. India has been a major player in the IT services world for over 20 years now and they still shit in the streets there.

Kind of like we're doing in San Fran...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    It's regression to the mean. We're not bringing them up to our standard of living, but bringing us down to theirs. India has been a major player in the IT services world for over 20 years now and they still shit in the streets there.

Kind of like we're doing in San Fran...

Chris
    Well, that paints a rosy picture. Sidewalk art taken to the extreme.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

More thoughts on this - there is a carefully researched paper released in 2016 by economists at Notre Dame, the University of California, Berkeley, and the Office of Tax Analysis at the U.S. Department of Treasury. To quote EPI:

Their findings should put an end to the notion that H-1Bs are in any way good for U.S. workers. The research solves the problem of causality by employing a natural experiment. Two types of businesses were studied, those that applied for and received visas through the H-1B random “lottery” (because more employers want H-1Bs than are annually available, the government has to allocate them via lottery), and those that applied but failed in the lottery. If the H-1B visa raised wages, led to job creation, or spurred innovation, the companies that were awarded the visas should do better on each of those counts. In fact, they did not. On the contrary, over the eight years following the hiring of an H-1B worker, U.S. workers were displaced, wages were lowered, and there was no positive effect on innovation.

https://gspp.berkeley.edu/assets/upl...ch/pdf/h1b.pdf

Again, my position is not to suggest that high skilled immigration is wrong (it isn't!), but that large outsourcing firms like Infosys, Wipro and Tata (chart for FY2008) that are the leading users of the H1-B programs have a negative correlation for American workers vs. companies like Apple, and Google who largely have advanced degrees from US universities.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I don't know where the next tech hub will be, but I do selfishly want it to be in the US.
    Me too. But we can't do it by resting on our laurels or continuing to do the same thing over and over. Transactional work can't be seen as a career any longer.

It's cheap until it isn't, and then it's awfully expensive. The current CEO won't believe you, but the next one will. Rinse and repeat.
    I've worked for companies doing on-shoring because the costs you mention ("rework, missed SLAs, etc") didn't get priced in. It doesn't really bother me that short-sighted decision makers get charged twice. Once "cheaply" to get it done, and again afterwards more expensively to get it right. That sort of pain is good and necessary.[/quote]
    Problem is, the money comes from different buckets and customers buy on price more often than not. It's a rare customer at the corporate level that will sign the more expensive contract unless the less expensive option is obviously unsuited. We won a contract like that last year because the customer could tell from our conversations we knew what we were doing and had "been there, done that". I sat in a boardroom with those guys and walked them through our service, how we could provide them the personalized support they wanted, etc. Components of that service was based in the US too, but that customer was primarily a US-based one (HQ in US, but some manufacturing overseas).
    Our competitor couldn't be bothered to visit in person and was providing a cookie cutter option.

It's one of the reasons I stayed technical with 20 years on the clock instead of going into management. We recently had furloughs and the project managers got hit hard. We've lost devs to attrition and new opportunities but not one has been furloughed, much less laid off. It's getting pretty complicated out there. And there's a diminishing number of people capable of doing it.
    We've never been busier ourselves.

Having a dominating, near-monopoly over tech is something that should be a strategic priority.
    Yup, agree completely.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Exactly the question I've been wondering about...(because you can't have it both ways).

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Insofar as the free market, I used to want it until I saw how tech abuses the H1B visa, not to mention say buying a nice American made Leatherman or a good knockoff made with Chinese labor...
    I don't have any problems with protecting US workers from global market forces. I also don't believe that it can be done in an accurate and selective way; if anything, current H1B thing is an evidence to that. As long as we're ok with any unintended consequences, I am all good with whatever the plan is.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List