Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trump moves to limit TVA CEO pay, fire him, & stop outsourcing

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Ok, I’m pretty sure everyone can agree these are good things. It’s infuriating what the TVA was up to.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN24Z2A4
    The TVA got my favorite guy fired...

Name:  Ronald_Reagan_and_General_Electric_Theater_1954-62.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  27.2 KB
    Fortunately he went on to better things.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The TVA got my favorite guy fired...

Name:  Ronald_Reagan_and_General_Electric_Theater_1954-62.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  27.2 KB
    Fortunately he went on to better things.
    Que?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Que?

Then-movie star Ronald Reagan had moved to television as the host and a frequent performer for General Electric Theater during 1954. Reagan was later fired by General Electric in 1962 in response to his publicly referring to the TVA (TVA being a major customer for GE turbines) as one of the problems of "big government".[53] Some claim that Reagan was instead fired due to a criminal antitrust investigation involving him and the Screen Actors Guild.[54] However, Reagan was only interviewed; nobody was actually charged with anything in the investigation.[55][56]
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Thanks. Thats interesting. As a Texan I have minimal knowledge of the TVA, or something called "winter."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    It is often pointed out that TVA BoD is not as high paid as commercial utility executives and have no stock options to sweeten the deal.

But it is a US Government agency and jobs ought to go to US citizens.

TVA was a Depression agency and early days, only one member of a household could work there, spread out the jobs. Even when I started there, there was a cap on how much pay could go to one household. I knew one couple who turned down promotions so both could stay there, but eventually one got a take it or leave deal and the other had to quit. The cap was later removed and she came back.
    Not to mention, it is a US Government agency that uses nuclear materials. I did find it interesting that some TVA employees/directors make more per year than POTUS.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Not to mention, it is a US Government agency that uses nuclear materials. I did find it interesting that some TVA employees/directors make more per year than POTUS.
    Not disputing the salaries of TVA higher-ups, but the idea of "making more than POTUS" needs to factor in the overall "cost" to the taxpayers of the POTUS. "Free lodging and meals", transportation, security, pretty good retirement, post-job book and speaking deals, etc. A lot of executive jobs have such perks, but not exactly on that scale. Or maybe I should say rarely on that scale.

I wish that somehow this kind of ruling or law could be applied to all industries across the nation. I have no issues with bringing in temporary workers where there really is a shortage, but lots of folks use the H1B process to drive down prices.

Maybe the annual fees associated with H1B should go up enough to make the total cost of ownership the same between US citizen and foreign national.

I believe TVA had to get a legislative exemption to pay the packed BoDs and CEO more than a congresscritter. Worth more, though.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Maybe we can replace the Congress critters with some people on H1B visas?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I actually thought this would be a big deal, as it really resonates with me, having seen outsourcing and H1B visa abuse at the expense of American jobs, but instead... #OrangeManBad

This is a big deal, and wage suppression via H1B has been a huge abuse of Americans in the sciences as well. It must be discussed in a clear headed fashion without fear of being accused of xenophobia.

The H-1B was designed to weaken American workers’ bargaining positions so much that they would be forced to mitigate their wage demands. It's a wage tampering program. (loosely quoting Eric Weinstein here, who has had great deal to say on the subject, here's a starting point: https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspe...h-tech-workers). His paper is linked at the end of the article.

User Tag List