Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRL-22 -- The matches, the gear, etc

Site Supporter

NRL-22 -- The matches, the gear, etc

The thread going about PRS scopes reminded me I've been thinking about getting into the micro version of these matches for awhile. A few months ago I happened onto a used Anschutz 1712 in an XLR chassis which is now in my safe, sans glass. Your experiences with these .22 matches and/or appropriate equipment welcome.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    The "go to" action that we have been getting in is from Zermatt Arms https://www.rimxaction.com/ and I've had a ton of people grabbing the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 FFP which is a great scope for the money https://www.cstactical.com/vortex-st...le-5-25x56-ffp
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

I don't shoot NRL22, but I shoot a lot of long range 22.

Your Annie will do fine. I have a MPR64 Annie. I put a 25 MOA scope base on it so I could dial more elevation in my scope. You will want at least a couple 10 round mags. $$$ A bipod and some bags. I have both Harris and Atlas bipods. Both are good. Bags, there's a million to choose from. You thought 9mm vs 45 was an argument. Just ask somebody what is the best bag.

Scopes are a personal choice. You will probably want a FFP, variable power scope with clear glass. A zero stop would be a good idea, so when you dial, it is easy to come back to zero with out going a revolution past.

Then it looks like you need to practice shooting from very odd positions.

Site Supporter
    Our local precision rimfire matches aren't run under NRL22 rules, but I've been using a Ruger Precision Rimfire with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 FFP. I've been happy with both the rifle and the scope, but I did just buy a Tikka T1X to drop into a KRG Bravo (I'm a big fan of that chassis).

As noted, you seem to be set for a rifle. For optics, most people around here run the same Diamondback Tactical as me or the similarly priced Athlon Argos. I also have a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25 that I've been happy with. I'll likely switch to that on the Tikka if I buy a nicer optic for my centerfire rifle. I do miss having a zero stop on the Diamondback Tactical, but it looks like the standard NRL22 matches are all 100 yards and under, so getting lost on elevation shouldn't be an issue.

Obviously, nicer optics from Vortex, Kahles, NightForce, Leupold, or S&B will all work. You do want to have adjustable parallax that works for your eyes down to the shortest distance you are going to shoot.

For bags, I think NRL22 is now using a one bag rule. I really like the pint-sized gamechanger for something that can be used as either a front or rear bag.

For bipods, the Harris, Atlas, Magpul, Thunderbeast, and Ckye Pod all work. I really like having a full length RRS/Arca rail with RRS's Pro Clamp for either Harris or anything that's ARMS 17s (pretty much anything but Harris or Ckye). I'm not sure how RRS dovetail rails work with NRL22 rules, but I think your rifle setup will already put you in Open, so any rails should be fine.

Site Supporter
    Forgot to add that match .22 seems to be less affected than a lot of more common ammo types in the present situation. (But, I probably just jinxed it).

.22 barrels can be picky about ammo type. I think that's why you find some people who swear by specific brands and trash others. The best options seems to be to buy a few different options from Eley and Lapua/SK and see what works for your barrel, then buy as much as you can of the loading/lot that works best. My Ruger barrel seems to shoot Federal UM22 about as well as the more expensive Lapua and Eley loadings, so that's mostly what I've used since it was available for under $10/box. Unfortunately, UM22 seems to be the first .22 match loading to fall victim to the ammo shortage, so I'm now giving SK Rifle Match a shot because it is similarly priced.

I have a large amount of CCI Standard that I use for practice ammo. Many people that are much better precision shooters than me claim that you do want to shoot at least 10 rounds of a new ammo before judging it due to differences in the wax coatings on .22 bullets. I also avoid shooting any copper jacketed/washed bullets in my precision oriented .22s.

Site Supporter
    Something else I thought about gear wise today when shooting our local precision rimfire match. If you are interested in also shooting NRL22X, other longer .22 precision matches, or just stretching out your .22, then make sure you get a base with as much cant as possible while still allowing you to zero at 50 yards. We had a target today that required a bit over 20 mils of elevation. With a 30 MOA base, I have a little over 14 mils available to dial up, which meant holding an additional 6 mils in the reticle. On a harder target, I'd much rather be close to the center of the reticle. I also have about 5 mils under my current 50 yard zero, so I could easily run a 40 MOA base.

Following...

I’ve found myself wanting a precision 22. Leaning toward the Tikka or CZ but open, shot a buddies RPR22 today that was fun

Site Supporter
    My pie in the sky long range shooting dream is to one day have a Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM and put one of the Tract Toric scopes on it. Does it make sense to go ahead and get one of those and put it on this rifle to see if I like it for the purpose? I've heard nothing but good about Tract optics. There's no guarantee I'll ever actually get set up for long-distance centerfire, so whatever scope I get might end up permanently on this Anschutz.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    My pie in the sky long range shooting dream is to one day have a Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM and put one of the Tract Toric scopes on it. Does it make sense to go ahead and get one of those and put it on this rifle to see if I like it for the purpose? I've heard nothing but good about Tract optics. There's no guarantee I'll ever actually get set up for long-distance centerfire, so whatever scope I get might end up permanently on this Anschutz.
    I don't have experience with the Tract, but many people compare them favorably with the Vortex Razor line. They seem to have parallax adjustment that isn't super finicky at close range, so they should work well for .22. There certainly isn't a downside to getting a nicer optic for your .22 (except cost). The newer 4.5-30 Toric seems pretty optimal for .22 due to the larger elevation adjustment range. However, you don't need to spend nearly that much money to have a competitive .22 optic.

Any recommendations between something like a standard stock vs a chassis? Something like a KRG Bravo vs an XLR Element.

User Tag List