Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10mm Revolver Loads

Site Supporter
    I want to reinforce the above that you are definitely going to want to roll crimp any heavy bullet or heavy recoiling revolver load to prevent bullet pull.

Been to the reloading bench and to the range. Unfortunately bought some bulk 180 bullets of unknown origin. Tried a roll crimp and had bullets flying sideways (keyholing big time) and the ones that didn't keyhole were randomly placed on the target. No group kind of hard to even call it a pattern. Used 9.0 grains of Longshot. That was attempt #1 at reloading.

Attempt#2, 155 gr LSWC, over 8.2 grains of Longshot and a taper crimp from RCBS. Offhand group at 20 yds, 3-3.5 inches and to the sights in windage about 4" low in elevation. Tried a Sierra 165 JHC and 6.8 grains of 231. I was surprised group larger than the lead bullet load, right at 4 inches at same distance and hold, group a little to the right of the previous load.

Continue to search, for the right load. Going to order some 175grain LSWCs and try them next with Unique or HS6.

Your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Your thoughts.
    My 3” GP100 shows a definite preference for heavier bullets. Some older commercial cast 155gr lrn I had shot patterns. 180 jacketed shoot well but impact in the fiber optic dot instead of the tip of the sight. 175gr truncated conicals cast from a Lee mold open the group to palm sized at 25 yards up a bit but impact the same.

200gr WFN gas checked at a bit over 1,100fps and Speer’s 200 Gold Dot load hit at the tip of the sight and shoot tighter groups than anything else I’ve tried.

Getting the bullets successfully taper crimped is a balancing act, too little and the bullets creep out of the casings during recoil. Too much and you’ve essentially resized the .402” bullet into something too small for your bore. I’m seeing the best results with Starline brass and minimal crimp. I normally load using Unique or BE-86 for powders.

Thanks Rick. You're right about that Taper Crimp issue. If I ever find a can of the BE-86 I'm going to give it a try. I've decided to investigate the 175TC cast next and see how it flies. My 5" has adjustable sights. Did load up a small batch of the 155 LSWC as I have a lot left over from my 40S&W days; with 7.2 grains of 231 and a standard primer. Would really like to stay in the 175-200 gr load area. Bullets are hard to come by right now.

Update: Dropped a 400 caliber Sierra down the cylinders and it sailed right on through with just a hint of hesitation. I've ordered some 175TC lead bullets and will be waiting a bit longer as they were ordered and are now on backorder. Going to continue to try some with Longshot as I bought 3 lbs of it back during the Obama panic.

Will keep you posted.

User Tag List