Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Archery/Bowhunting

This is a timely thread. I did a lot of archery growing up; with my dad, in scouts, with friends, but I just lost track of it over the years. Of late, a bunch of my boxing peeps have taken up archery on the side, so I have a weekly invite to go shoot recurves with them.

Where do I look, and what’s the hotness for a recreational trad archery set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Yeah, the main reason I shoot 3D is because it’s the only competitive venue in my region.

Also, I should have left off the “training” part of my wheels comment (no offense intended to anyone here). I shoot with a couple of really good compound shooters and actually have a lot of respect for that discipline. What really blows my mind about the guys at the top levels of compound archery is one not-perfect shot will cost y’all the match.
    That wasn't meant to be a shot at you. That's pretty minor compared to what some of the purists throw out. When I show non-archers a Vegas indoor target and tell them if ONE of your arrows fails to hit that quarter sized 10 ring in 90 arrows, over 3 days ,you are done; they are amazed. I can shoot a bow far more accurately than a pistol or even a rifle at 20 meters.

I want to get back into it, I was doing a lot of target shooting for a while. Did a little hunting but never managed to connect. This area has a large enough population that there is a lot of competition for hunting spots. A great spot would be behind my house, but it is in a conservancy district so you need to go through the hoops.

I did jack up my shoulder a while back and if I am smart I will just go get a 50# and crank it all the way up and just not screw with it. I am getting older and wiser, maybe I will surprise myself.

I also shoot in my apartment at 8 yards when the weather is crappy or I can’t make it to the range to work on form.
    We live in a typical late seventies quad level house. Standing by the recliner and shooting down through the basement door into a target under the bench with the reloading presses is 14yds. I have done this thousands of times, but I need to regain some of my mojo before I restart those shenanigans inside the house.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    That wasn't meant to be a shot at you. That's pretty minor compared to what some of the purists throw out. When I show non-archers a Vegas indoor target and tell them if ONE of your arrows fails to hit that quarter sized 10 ring in 90 arrows, over 3 days ,you are done; they are amazed. I can shoot a bow far more accurately than a pistol or even a rifle at 20 meters.
    Did you see what Brady did last year? 300 with an Olympic recurve over 3 days without breaking mentally. I can’t even imagine.

On accuracy, at 25 yards my groups with a bow and pistol are about identical, but slightly better with a bow when I’m in my groove. (I can hold the black on a B8)
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Did you see what Brady did last year? 300 with an Olympic recurve over 3 days without breaking mentally. I can’t even imagine.

On accuracy, at 25 yards my groups with a bow and pistol are about identical, but slightly better with a bow when I’m in my groove. (I can hold the black on a B8)
    Brady is a machine. I hear that he's a monster with a compound as well. If you can hold in the black with a trad bow you are damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Anyone here do the archery thing? I got into it back in 2007, shot a few indoor spot league cash pot shoots and some local 3D shoots up until about 2010, then largely hung it up except for a few weeks during deer season (gains you 5 weeks extra deer season depending on county in GA). Last year I somewhat got back into it a little bit, put new strings on my bow, swapped out for a more hunting-oriented sight and killed 2 deer with the bow. But man, this year I've just been bit bad, I tell you what. I've been shooting regularly (3-5 days/wk) for about 3 months now. Going to a 3D shoot on the 16th of this month. I just can't wait! Still using my old bow I bought back in '07, Archery Research AR32. New Vaportrails last October. QAD HD rest, Rocky Mountain 5 Pin sight, Scott Little Goose release, GoldTip Hunter's. Hunting broadhead is the QAD Exodus 100 Swept. Haven't had a need for the swept blades yet, though, as they've all ended up in the dirt on the other side of the animal.

Little vid from last night's practice session shooting at 60 to confirm my pin. The black dot is 3".

I love shooting archery wayyy more than burning powder. I’m also a bow hunter so my marksmanship practice and equipment is practical. I think that the opportunity to set up realistic range scenarios (3D) and access to shoot in suburban areas and clubs make archery so much better than firearms.

I live in the Chicago suburbs and there are multiple clubs within a half hour drive were I can shoot from elevated positions, long range, and tons of 3D in wooded courses. Most firearms shooters would have to go to Gunsite (or similar) to get that kind of experience.

Compound archery tackle and marksmanship fundamentals scratch many of the same itches that precision rifle does. That said, tradbow shooting is also a ton of fun in all the ways that precision sports aren’t. That’s my next big endeavor I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Brady is a machine. I hear that he's a monster with a compound as well. If you can hold in the black with a trad bow you are damn good.
    Depends on what you compare yourself too. I could hold the gold at 18m and still only shoot a 270 if I was really unlucky. Right now in barebow guys are shooting 280’s to lower 290’s in quals and slightly less in the finals. My top high practice score is a 272 with 260ish being more of an average performance, and that’s just local leagues. I’ve still got quite a ways to go.

Site Supporter
    Several years ago, when I got a wild hair to try bowhunting, I got to the point of shooting groups like this at 25yds with my Samick Sage recurve, a single pin sight, and kisser button. I'm not able to do this now, I just shoot bare bow in the back yard (8yds max).

Name:  bow.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  68.6 KB

I went bowhunting exactly once, didn't get anything, and decided I wasn't confident enough in my abilities to risk wounding a deer.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    This is a timely thread. I did a lot of archery growing up; with my dad, in scouts, with friends, but I just lost track of it over the years. Of late, a bunch of my boxing peeps have taken up archery on the side, so I have a weekly invite to go shoot recurves with them.

Where do I look, and what’s the hotness for a recreational trad archery set up?
    I can post up some specific links later when I’m not at work. My first recommendation would be to see if one of the guys might an extra set up you could go shoot to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearqueer View Post
    Compound archery tackle and marksmanship fundamentals scratch many of the same itches that precision rifle does. That said, tradbow shooting is also a ton of fun in all the ways that precision sports aren’t. That’s my next big endeavor I think.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not all trad guys are grip it an rip it. if my barebow recurve brace height is off by 1/8” it will put me around 4” off my point of aim at 20 yards.

Site Supporter
    If anybody on here needs help setting up trad gear, arrow selection etc. hit me up and I’ll be glad to help get you started. It can be hard to find shops that know much about recurves and longbows in some parts of the country.

User Tag List