Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Archery/Bowhunting

Archery/Bowhunting

Anyone here do the archery thing? I got into it back in 2007, shot a few indoor spot league cash pot shoots and some local 3D shoots up until about 2010, then largely hung it up except for a few weeks during deer season (gains you 5 weeks extra deer season depending on county in GA). Last year I somewhat got back into it a little bit, put new strings on my bow, swapped out for a more hunting-oriented sight and killed 2 deer with the bow. But man, this year I've just been bit bad, I tell you what. I've been shooting regularly (3-5 days/wk) for about 3 months now. Going to a 3D shoot on the 16th of this month. I just can't wait! Still using my old bow I bought back in '07, Archery Research AR32. New Vaportrails last October. QAD HD rest, Rocky Mountain 5 Pin sight, Scott Little Goose release, GoldTip Hunter's. Hunting broadhead is the QAD Exodus 100 Swept. Haven't had a need for the swept blades yet, though, as they've all ended up in the dirt on the other side of the animal.

Little vid from last night's practice session shooting at 60 to confirm my pin. The black dot is 3".

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Cool, glad to see some other archers on here. It’s been my main competitive focus for the past couple of years, though I have decided to take the competition season off this year.

I was heavily into 3D and shot in a weekly indoor 3D league and traveled to several of the big ASA shoots. I shoot barebow recurve in competitions but always enjoy the company of you guys using training wheels . I’ll post up picks of my competition and hunting rigs sometime this week.

I’ve been thinking about putting one of the tru-glow tritium sight pins on my hunting recurve since I haven’t been shooting as much this year since indoor league has been cancelled due to the Rona. I was also shooting so much for the past couple of years I got kind of burnt out so using a sight might be a nice way to change things up a bit.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Cool, glad to see some other archers on here. It’s been my main competitive focus for the past couple of years, though I have decided to take the competition season off this year.

I was heavily into 3D and shot in a weekly indoor 3D league and traveled to several of the big ASA shoots. I shoot barebow recurve in competitions but always enjoy the company of you guys using training wheels . I’ll post up picks of my competition and hunting rigs sometime this week.

I’ve been thinking about putting one of the tru-glow tritium sight pins on my hunting recurve since I haven’t been shooting as much this year since indoor league has been cancelled due to the Rona. I was also shooting so much for the past couple of years I got kind of burnt out so using a sight might be a nice way to change things up a bit.
    Man, Trad archery is it's own kind of animal. Kind of like fly fishing vs big rods and braid on a baitcaster. I just already have too many hobbies as it is (fishing (fly and conventional), hunting, shooting (firearms), drums, camping...and 3 kids, lol). I have a lot of admiration for those to do it. If I had a friend that did it, I might could bump it up on the list, but heck I can't even get my friends to shoot compounds. Honestly, most of my friends are on the shooting side and the fishing side, so that's what I do the most.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I hunt with a Dwyer Original Longbow, and since I live on rural acreage, I'm able to shoot every day.

Frankly, I enjoy trad archery far more than I enjoy shooting guns.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Always wanted to get into it but living in the burbs makes me leery of my karen neighbors...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    . Frankly, I enjoy trad archery far more than I enjoy shooting guns.
    I tell people that archery is like yoga, but with weapons.

I don’t live in a rural area, but I do have a very unique urban hunting situation that I get to take advantage of yearly to put deer in the freezer. I also shoot in my apartment at 8 yards when the weather is crappy or I can’t make it to the range to work on form.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I tell people that archery is like yoga, but with weapons.

I don’t live in a rural area, but I do have a very unique urban hunting situation that I get to take advantage of yearly to put deer in the freezer. I also shoot in my apartment at 8 yards when the weather is crappy or I can’t make it to the range to work on form.
    That's a good analogy. Years ago I had a .223 Savage 10FP with... umm.... some kind of good high magnification scope. Going to the range and drilling tiny little groups was very much a form of ballistic meditation.

Shooting a bow scratches exactly the same itch, only its cheaper and more convenient.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Always wanted to get into it but living in the burbs makes me leery of my karen neighbors...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    I shoot my recurve (bare bow because I think recurves should be as free of stuff as possible) in my townhouse backyard.
    I do use the 35lb limbs to reduce noise and because I'm just "plinking" at that distance and I don't shoot when lots of folks are out on their decks (WFHing and primarily working early morning hours means I can get out there when most folks are at work).

That said, Bull Run Shooting Center has an indoor archery range (no idea what it costs). The IWLA in Centreville has 4 archery ranges, including one indoor. They're free and open all the time to members.

That said again, I have been considering selling off my archery gear because I so seldom use it anymore. If you're inclined, let me know. I could be talked out of it (bow, two sets of limbs, support gear, arrows, etc) for the right price.

ETA: @Caballoflaco commented about urban hunting. That's a thing here in NoVA. Just putting that out there in case you wanted to go down that route.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I shoot my recurve (bare bow because I think recurves should be as free of stuff as possible) in my townhouse backyard.
    I do use the 35lb limbs to reduce noise and because I'm just "plinking" at that distance and I don't shoot when lots of folks are out on their decks (WFHing and primarily working early morning hours means I can get out there when most folks are at work).

That said, Bull Run Shooting Center has an indoor archery range (no idea what it costs). The IWLA in Centreville has 4 archery ranges, including one indoor. They're free and open all the time to members.

That said again, I have been considering selling off my archery gear because I so seldom use it anymore. If you're inclined, let me know. I could be talked out of it (bow, two sets of limbs, support gear, arrows, etc) for the right price.

ETA: @Caballoflaco commented about urban hunting. That's a thing here in NoVA. Just putting that out there in case you wanted to go down that route.

Chris
    Whoa whoa whoa... Urban hunting is a thing up here? I may need to look into this more... My wife would be THRILLED if I could shoot the deer that constantly are eating her tomatoes...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

Chris
    Urban hunting is interesting, it’s fairly easy the first week or two if you’re culling does or for the first buck. However, eventually they start associating your odor with death and become a lot more skittish, especially the bucks and will often go nocturnal pretty fast if you’re pressuring groups on smaller plots of land.

I will say that it’s probably too late in the season for a newb to hunt with a recurve this year. A compound though could have him ethically out in the woods by this fall.

User Tag List