Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Archery/Bowhunting

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    If anybody on here needs help setting up trad gear, arrow selection etc. hit me up and I’ll be glad to help get you started. It can be hard to find shops that know much about recurves and longbows in some parts of the country.
    Post up some stuff - Trad seemed pretty neat compared to getting into compound, though compound tickles my inner gear needs...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Post up some stuff - Trad seemed pretty neat compared to getting into compound, though compound tickles my inner gear needs...
    Let me organize my thoughts get something written and I’ll drop a basics/getting started post in this thread in the next day or two.

Hopefully we’ve got a compound guy who can do the same as I don’t have the foggiest on flinging arrows with those.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Gearqueer View Post
    Compound archery tackle and marksmanship fundamentals scratch many of the same itches that precision rifle does. That said, tradbow shooting is also a ton of fun in all the ways that precision sports aren’t. That’s my next big endeavor I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think this is a good parallel. A modern compount is akin to a precision rifle. Dial your dope and make the shot. You still have to execute well, but it's more precise. Traditional archery is more like shotgunning. More about form and more of an "art" than a "science."
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I like trad *because* it avoids the gear queer element. I get enough of that with firearms.

For recreational shooting, don't over-bow yourself. You don't *need* more than 35lbs or so for target shooting. Maybe if you get into longer range shooting, but light weight is not only less stress on your body, but allow you to shoot for longer periods of time. Lighter weights also allow you to develop good form without fighting the bow. Remember, at full draw you're holding back the full draw weight, unlike a compound.

Bows like my Sammick allow you to change limbs. I have a 50lb set for hunting and a 35lb set for recreational shooting. At the time I bought my bow, Sammick offered limbs from about 25lbs up to 60 or 70. Based on what I've read, 40-50 is all you need for hunting deer at "reasonable" distances. I settled on 50 as that was the "standard" for hunting deer and such.

With different weight limbs, you'll probably need different arrows (spine and weight differences). Also, draw length affects draw weight and the length you need for your arrows. My draw is a bit longer than the 28" "standard", which means my 50lb limbs at my full draw were over 50lbs. Any archery shop can measure your draw length. This is important for getting the right length arrows (so you don't pull the arrow of the rest or shelf) as well as the right weight/spine to match the draw weight. Arrow head weights also affect this. You can go with a slightly stiffer arrow if you have a heavier head (or the opposite). Read up on archer's paradox and how the bow weight, arrow spine/weight, and arrowhead weight all interact. Then you have knock height, tillering, etc. Lots of stuff to learn and I just reminded myself of a lot of things I hadn't thought about in a while.

Lots of things to learn about in setting up a bow and much of it feels like a black art. Good luck!

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I think this is a good parallel. A modern compount is akin to a precision rifle. Dial your dope and make the shot. You still have to execute well, but it's more precise. Traditional archery is more like shotgunning. More about form and more of an "art" than a "science."
    That's a good comparison. I was never deep into compounds, but for the short period of time I had one, I found it much easier to make shots with it than the recurve, but the recurve was more "interesting".

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Not all trad guys are grip it an rip it. if my barebow recurve brace height is off by 1/8” it will put me around 4” off my point of aim at 20 yards.
    Sorry, I should have clarified that tradbow still requires just as much tuning and shooting precision, just IMO less tech. I respect recurve and trad shooters above all.

There are teens at my archery club cleaning my clock with Olympic recurve as I sit there with my back tension release and compound. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay archery. I got into archery 2 decades ago when my boys were little. Still have lots of gear in the basement that hasn't been touched in years. Lots of good memories camping and shooting recurves and longbow with the kids during those years. Lot's of websites with tons of info out there. It's a great teacher of patience and precision.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Brady is a machine. I hear that he's a monster with a compound as well. If you can hold in the black with a trad bow you are damn good.
    It’s true. Before he picked up the recurve, Brady was a world medalist as a compound youth. Two days ago he shot a monster 70M recurve score in the 690’s at 74M (due to a flood at his field) for a remote tournament in Japan, finishing #1 among almost 1100 shooters. The previous weekend he finished 5th at OPA with his compound, competing with it for the first time in 15 years, and would have finished higher if not for a glance out.

I’ve been in archery since 1983. Spent 28 years designing and engineering stuff like the arrow used by every Olympic champion since 1996 and currently used by 99.5% of Olympians, bows that won the 2000 and 2004 Olympic Games, and a lot more. Also shot at a reasonable level, representing the USA in the World Field Championship and World Games, and was on the USA National Team five times. (Even made the podium at Vegas a couple times.) Was also the field announcer for six consecutive Olympic Games as well, and currently consult for the World Archery Federation and two of the largest archery equipment manufacturers in the world.

Archery is a sport you can do for a lifetime at whatever level you’re willing to put the work into, and the mental game of making the shot applies directly to skill at arms with rifle or pistol.

But I always have had to work a lot harder at being really good with a pistol than with a bow

@Archer1440 , we probably crossed paths on ArcheryTalk 15 years ago.

Glad this got started.

Quick question, any of you compound guys got your own press? I am pondering getting something but never take a plunge. I do not like being wedded to a shop, many of them tend to act like there is more voodoo than (IMO...) I think there is. Also two year old compounds have depreciated more than a two year old car, I would like to be able to make the little tweaks on my own. Just looking to be able to move a peep and stuff like that.

This has actually kept me from getting back into shooting archery again. I had a Hoyt Ultra Élite with 70# (I think) 2000 limbs that was setup like a camo target bow, and I kept hanging stuff off of it until it really wasn't what I wanted anymore, and sold it when I was wanting 9mm 1911s more than a bow I wasn't shooting.

Then I got a nice deal on a used Turbohawk, but it needs some stuff tweaked to fit.

I also have a Pro Elite with 50# 3000 limbs I bought like a dumbass when my wife may have made a casual comment like "that looks fun", I think she shot it once... But that is the one I should probably start shooting before I screw up my shoulder shooting the Turbohawk or swing by the local shop and leave $1,200 behind.

User Tag List