Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilford Brimley, Dead at 85

Wilford Brimley, Dead at 85

Born in Salt Lake City, Brimley served in the Marine Corps, stationed in the Aleutian Islands; worked early on as a farmer and rodeo rider; served as a bodyguard to Howard Hughes; and began his career in showbiz shoeing horses for films and TV westerns.
    https://decider.com/2020/08/02/wilfo...or-dead-at-85/

Met him at a hotel in Asheville during a motorcycle trip in the mid 90's. He was a very nice gentleman and a pleasure to speak with. Always enjoyed his work.

R.I.P., sir.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I was always extremely fond of him. Very interesting to find out that other interesting stuff about him I didn't know.
    RIP

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Sad to see him go. I am kind of surprised however he was only 85 - he seemed to be in his 70s back in the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Sad to see him go. I am kind of surprised however he was only 85 - he seemed to be in his 70s back in the 1990s.
    I know, right. Cocoon came out in 1985. He was a geezer then. Turns out...

Brimley was only 49 when he was cast in the role, and turned 50 during filming; he was at least 20 years younger than any of the actors playing the other retirement home residents. In order to look the part, Brimley bleached his hair and moustache to turn them gray, and had wrinkles and liver spots drawn on his face.

I wonder if it was the 'beetus that got him.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Yeah that puts him about 58 when The Firm came out in '93 but he seemed much older than that even then.

Looking at his Wikipedia, he was active in films up until 2017. What a career.

I chatted with him at the Western Idaho Fair while we both stood in line at the Greek Gyro stand. Had to be 25 years ago. Really nice guy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I know, right. Cocoon came out in 1985. He was a geezer then. Turns out...

Brimley was only 49 when he was cast in the role, and turned 50 during filming; he was at least 20 years younger than any of the actors playing the other retirement home residents. In order to look the part, Brimley bleached his hair and moustache to turn them gray, and had wrinkles and liver spots drawn on his face.

I wonder if it was the 'beetus that got him.
    Crap. I'm not much younger than he was when he filmed Cocoon. Nobody would say I looked "old".

At 85, while the 'beetus didn't help, it doesn't seem like it was a major impact to his longevity.

Chris

RIP.
    I think my favorite character of his was in "High Road to China".

My niece appeared with him in a commercial 20 plus years ago.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List