Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 88gr .40 S&W

88gr .40 S&W

I bought a USP .40 today and it came with a box of 88gr ARX Inceptor self defense rounds, rated at 1,430fps. I usually use more traditional hollow points like Hornady or Federal, but this is interesting...it has a "copper/polymer" bullet. Does anyone know how effective these are?

Site Supporter
    Congrats on getting a good pistol. USPs are great.

I don’t have experience with those rounds, but very light, very fast handgun bullets usually underpenetrate and tend not to retain weight. Additionally, they tend not to perform well when called upon to pass through intermediate barriers on the way to their intended target.

You’re better off sticking with proven rounds which have been subjected to extensive testing, like Gold Dots, HST, etc.

I would not use them.

If you are interested in the light/fast concept while still getting reliable penetration look into the Lehigh Defenders. If I recall correctly there have been a number of instances of the copper/polymer ammo shearing off or breaking apart while feeding.

It doesn't accomplish anything the Lehigh Defenders don't do better, more reliably, and with reliable penetration.

Since they were free.99 you could have some fun shooting watermelons with them.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    The few times I've seen the concept used in the real world resulted in messy but shallow wounds with early fragmentation.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I have a zip-lok bag of misc ammo and found 5 American Gunner 180gr .40 S&W to top off the mag. They're around 400ft-lbs of energy. I want to get some Underwood 155gr that's 600 ft-lbs of energy.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_J View Post
    I have a zip-lok bag of misc ammo and found 5 American Gunner 180gr .40 S&W to top off the mag. They're around 400ft-lbs of energy. I want to get some Underwood 155gr that's 600 ft-lbs of energy.
    Energy is the measurement of the capacity to do work. Just knowing energy doesn't tell you what that work will be. Energy can be used by the bullet fragmenting, for example. So, Energy =/= wounding potential. As such, energy numbers are primarily marketing driven and it's easy to make big impressive looking numbers via driving a too light projectile too fast. I'd recommend reading this sticky: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....formance-Facts

Make special note of:

The degree and rapidity of any physiological incapacitation is determined by the anatomic structures the projectile disrupts and the severity of the tissue damage caused by the bullet. Physiologically, immediate incapacitation or death can only occur when the brain or upper spinal cord is damaged or destroyed.
    More rapid incapacitation may occur with greater tissue disruption. Tissue is damaged through two wounding mechanisms: the tissue in the projectile’s path is permanently crushed and the tissue surrounding the projectile’s path is temporarily stretched. A penetrating projectile physically crushes and destroys tissue as it cuts its path through the body. The space occupied by this pulped and disintegrated tissue is referred to as the permanent cavity.
    So, what matters is where you put the bullet and what it destroys and, potentially, how much of it is destroyed. Muzzle energy doesn't tell you any of those things.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

It's a bit like horsepower in a car. 700bhp sounds impressive, but if you are running hard, skinny street tires, you aren't getting that where it needs to go. You may get a lot of noise and smoke, but the power is wasted.

Likewise, a bullet that zips through a target before it has a chance to expand is wasting that energy- a common failing of the full power 10mm, if I remember correctly.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I bought a USP .40 today and it came with a box of 88gr ARX Inceptor self defense rounds, rated at 1,430fps. I usually use more traditional hollow points like Hornady or Federal, but this is interesting...it has a "copper/polymer" bullet. Does anyone know how effective these are?
    They're less effective than FMJ, because they tend to under-penetrate due to their light weight. Total gimmick round.

Good news: Lucky Gunner has quality defensive .40 S&W in stock from Speer and Federal. Buy that instead.

I'll try to find some real testing.

Site Supporter
    I'll try to find some real testing.
    Why? Not to be rude, but what does Gold Dot/HST not do that you need something different?

You're focusing on things like energy which have almost no correlation to real world performance. If you're just curious and want to play around, great. But pulling random ammo out of a ziploc bag for carry to mix and match is NOT recommended. Carry regular ball or pick up proven rounds from Doc's list. Anything is better than a gimmick round.

User Tag List