Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NY State Firearms advice

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    How did NY turn into the shotgun debate? I agree with the folks who argue that the pump is not the intuitive man stopper of the age. Having taken a couple of shotgun classes (Tom Given's for one - great class) and some competition, I decided my go to long arm in NY in my house is my Ruger 9mm or Mini-14. The former is preferred. Now if the black bear that is wandering around the neighborhood comes to the door, the shotgun with slugs might be a choice. Not really worried about that though.

I'm still debating buying one of those weird compliant ARs. I'll wait till the plague panic abides a bit.

BTW, have folks seen that big mag release gadget to add to the Ruger. https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...e-mag-release/

Thoughts on that? I should ask elsewhere I suppose.
    P-F thread drift is as inevitable as entropy.

Personally that jawbone widget looks great for a gun-games sort of setup. But carrying it for 'work' I'm just imagining all the shit it could snag.

Site Supporter
    How did NY turn into the shotgun debate? I agree with the folks who argue that the pump is not the intuitive man stopper of the age. Having taken a couple of shotgun classes (Tom Given's for one - great class) and some competition, I decided my go to long arm in NY in my house is my Ruger 9mm or Mini-14. The former is preferred. Now if the black bear that is wandering around the neighborhood comes to the door, the shotgun with slugs might be a choice. Not really worried about that though.

I'm still debating buying one of those weird compliant ARs. I'll wait till the plague panic abides a bit.

BTW, have folks seen that big mag release gadget to add to the Ruger. https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...e-mag-release/

Thoughts on that? I should ask elsewhere I suppose.
    I blame Pulp Fiction.

I'm looking really hard at an "other". But I live in a county where I could very likely wave at the county sheriff with one hand, and hold a regular AR in the other, and be just fine.

If you're not willing to go that route, I got a look at the Thordsen Gen 3 in a shop yesterday, and it's easily the least terrible-looking of the "compliant" stocks. However, I would note the following:

(1) There's nothing from the state that says X or Y "compliant" stock is actually legal.
    (2) I've met state troopers that believe that AR15s are illegal in NYS. All of them. Not to knock all NYSP guys, many are decent dudes--I shoot bullseye with one, and met another who promptly whipped out his .300BLK SBR complete with LAW folder for me to fondle.

The more I consider how shaky the ground is already, the more I just figure an other really isn't so off-the-wall.

Site Supporter
    About the shotgun story, shotgun sales have been flat for years. AR's and handguns have risen sharply. Thus, the general gun populace hasn't bought into the shotgun for HD. Now, with the crisis, there may be an upturn due to availability but I'd bet it will be temporary.

Even though some counties are a wink and a nod on ARs, that's always a risk. Using one in SD in trial will just be an additional headache if it is not a grandfathered gun.

User Tag List