Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY State Firearms advice

NY State Firearms advice

NY State folks (Long Island in this case) I’m looking for some knowledge and advice on current laws, process and availability etc. of firearms. I know next to nothing about the processes and legalities of NY. I’ve done a bit of online research but I figured some here must have first hand knowledge.

Some background:

In the middle of my family vacation last weekend I got a call from my 73 year old Father in law. Out of nowhere he has decided to buy a firearm for protection etc. He was negotiating a price for some flavor of CZ bolt gun because he “had one when he went to Alaska 20 years ago for a few months” and decided to “check with you because you shoot” at the last second. He wasn’t looking for advice but validation. 😉

Not sure what else to say I asked him if the gun at least had iron sights and he said “I don’t think so” and he also didn’t know the caliber. He had not seen it. I asked him to please wait until I got back home and could help.

1. FIL is a fit 72 (he still hang glides at the training hill)
    2. He was a combat Infantry officer in the 101st in Vietnam so he’s not afraid of guns but is not a gun guy and has very limited experience by our standard.
    3. He’s not going to train or even practice.
    4. He was set on the CZ because it was $500 which is what he can afford. I’m going to cover the difference for whatever comes out of this thread.
    5. He lives on LI, close to NYC.
    6. He’s doing this with or without me and will listen within reason to my advice but I need to at least get a paperwork process going soon if I want him to wait.

So my first thought is some flavor of .38 Ruger revolver possibly even .22 but handguns seem like a longer process. So maybe some type of double break shotgun? How tight is supply? Can I ship something to an FFL? Any FFL recommendations? If I get him to accept a class is there a recommended local place? What else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    NY State folks (Long Island in this case) I’m looking for some knowledge and advice on current laws, process and availability etc. of firearms. I know next to nothing about the processes and legalities of NY. I’ve done a bit of online research but I figured some here must have first hand knowledge.

Some background:

In the middle of my family vacation last weekend I got a call from my 73 year old Father in law. Out of nowhere he has decided to buy a firearm for protection etc. He was negotiating a price for some flavor of CZ bolt gun because he “had one when he went to Alaska 20 years ago for a few months” and decided to “check with you because you shoot” at the last second. He wasn’t looking for advice but validation. 😉

Not sure what else to say I asked him if the gun at least had iron sights and he said “I don’t think so” and he also didn’t know the caliber. He had not seen it. I asked him to please wait until I got back home and could help.

1. FIL is a fit 72 (he still hang glides at the training hill)
    2. He was a combat Infantry officer in the 101st in Vietnam so he’s not afraid of guns but is not a gun guy and has very limited experience by our standard.
    3. He’s not going to train or even practice.
    4. He was set on the CZ because it was $500 which is what he can afford. I’m going to cover the difference for whatever comes out of this thread.
    5. He lives on LI, close to NYC.
    6. He’s doing this with or without me and will listen within reason to my advice but I need to at least get a paperwork process going soon if I want him to wait.

So my first thought is some flavor of .38 Ruger revolver possibly even .22 but handguns seem like a longer process. So maybe some type of double break shotgun? How tight is supply? Can I ship something to an FFL? Any FFL recommendations? If I get him to accept a class is there a recommended local place? What else do I need to know?

Thanks in advance
    NY has strictly regulated handguns for over 100 years. You can’t buy or possess one without a license which takes 6 moths to a year to get. By possess I mean you can’t even hold one in a store or rent one at a range.

The AR -15 he is already familiar with is banned under the NY SAFE act as an assault weapon.

You can ship to an FFL as long as the gun is NY legal. Outside of NYC, Non SAFE act long guns can be purchased with just a drivers license and a NICS check.

Some options - each with a mid grade red dot like a holosun and some type of light:

A Ruger PC carbine in 9mm or 40

A Ruger 10/22

Ruger mini 14

Remember he will be limited to 10 rounds mags.

Or a lever gun but I think a condition 3 semi auto is a better choice.

NY State Firearms Advice

I agree with HCM.
    I would go with a Ruger PC Carbine.
    The 19101 in 9mm.
    See attached link.
    https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine...ets/19101.html
    Last edited by TopShot; 08-02-2020 at 08:08 PM.
    "Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." - Jeff Cooper

Nothing wrong with a CZ bolt gun per se but you have to know how to run it, which is a dying art. Cartridge and sights also matter a LOT.

We're gonna need more information.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by TopShot View Post
    I agree with HCM.
    I would go with a Ruger PC Carbine.
    The 19101 in 9mm.
    See attached link.
    https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine...ets/19101.html
    Thanks, I’m looking into them now.

20 gauge pump

Even in anti-gun NYS, you can walk into just about any gun store and walk out with a 20 gauge pump with minimal fuss. Don’t need anything tactical looking here, keep it simple with wood stock, no side saddles, plain bead sight. Encourage him to take the free hunter safety course if nothing else. Is it ideal ? No, but your dealing with somebody who doesn’t sound like they want to immerse themselves in the minutiae of self defense.

Site Supporter
    You can buy a strange variant of an AR-15 with plain vanilla uppers and strange, non pistol grip stocks. Here's one site that has some: https://www.dark-storm.com/ Those are magazine fed. You can get one that looks somewhat normal, pistol grip config BUT with a fixed magazine you load through the port with some kind of speed loader. Why?

A LGS told me they can put together a SW MP-15 with a compliant setup for $800. This was before the panics and plague.

Note, I have no experience with the above solutions. Personally, as I moved to Erie Country (family, so spare the critiques), I have a Mini-14, Ruger PCC 9mm and a 10/22. All with an optic. 10 round mags. Such is life.

The Ruger PCC is very popular around here.

I found a suitable used PC carbine and I’m negotiating to purchase and have it shipped to an FFL near him.

Thanks to all for the suggestions

You will likely have to ship him ammo as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    I found a suitable used PC carbine and I’m negotiating to purchase and have it shipped to an FFL near him.

Thanks to all for the suggestions
    Good news! Read the Ruger PCC thread in this section of the forum ( or have FIL do so) and he will be ahead of potential issues and anomalies, should they appear.
    This place is *golden* for getting up to speed.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List