Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Watch shot.timer? - Scoring Tech

Apple Watch shot.timer? - Scoring Tech

Has anyone used this:
    https://www.scoringtech.com/recoil-shot-timer

I hate all things Apple, but my work phone is an iPhone, and if this makes things easier than using my ShotMaxx 2, I might try to find a refurbished Apple Watch.

I frequently shoot at an indoor range, which is why this interests me, and why I currently muse the ShotMaxx2.

I'm just curious what actual user experiences are.

Still getting used to this- it’s theoretically interesting to be able to pick up splits in competition without having to carry a timer along, but one annoying aspect is needing to relocate the watch to the dominant hand.

I also find that I need to deliberately kill the app on my watch after use, or it keeps popping up. Using with my Ultra and haven’t seen any noticeable battery loss running it in a couple of range sessions so far, but will be looking at how it behaves in this weekend’s USPSA match.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    It’s theoretically interesting to be able to pick up splits in competition without having to carry a timer along, but one annoying aspect is needing to relocate the watch to the dominant hand.
    Also, the means for competition use it would prevent stages that required weak-hand-only shooting.

Site Supporter
    I downloaded it last week, but haven’t tried it at the range yet- preferring to use my ShotMaxx2.
    I like the idea, though.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Also, the means for competition use it would prevent stages that required weak-hand-only shooting.
    I’m not 100% sure of that but given that you’re supposed to run the watch on the trigger hand, it seems to be likely it would not work for support hand shooting, unless the system somehow can measure the recoil through the body on the opposite limb.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 02-09-2024 at 04:48 PM.

Still getting used to this- it’s theoretically interesting to be able to pick up splits in competition without having to carry a timer along, but one annoying aspect is needing to relocate the watch to the dominant hand.
    That's also an issue with the ShotMaxx timers.

Does the app have a motion sensitive start, like the ShotMaxx "stealth mode?" I'm just wondering how you start the Scoring Tech timer, to coincide with the RO's timer, at a match.

I used it in one stage in a USPSA match last weekend. No “stealth mode” as far as I can tell. I just started it before LMR and later compared it to the data sent to Practiscore by the RO’s AMG timer, using the first shot as the slate.

It counted 25 of the 27 rounds shot. Split times didn’t agree either. I have no idea why there’s a discrepancy, but that’s just a single stage. Tomorrow in practice I will do more to see what’s going on. Ran it on an Apple Watch Ultra with a tight fit (a bit tighter than normal due to wear on the right wrist).

I know a couple of squared away people who are endorsing this thing, so I’m going to assume that with further work, I will find that it is more accurate than I think it is at the moment.

If it proves accurate, I could see this being a very useful substitute if you happen to forget your actual timer in a practice session.

Thanks for the info.

Very odd that it's giving different times than the AMG.

My main interest in this is recording, and analyzing, the data. I hate scrolling through a shot timer LED screen, especially one that's on my wrist, like the ShotMaxx, and manually recording the data. That said, the ShotMaxx 2 does work for me.

Well, I would have had more data after tonight's indoor match- but between running the timer, running the pad, and planning my own stages, I simply forgot to hit the button.

On the other hand I managed to eke out a decent classifier in LO, so I suppose the extra distraction of all that other stuff paid off.

Well, I would have had more data after tonight's indoor match- but between running the timer, running the pad, and planning my own stages, I simply forgot to hit the button.
    I understand that. I've stopped using the Shotmaxx 2 at matches, because either I forget to start it, or that's one more getting that distracts me from executing my plan.

On the other hand I managed to eke out a decent classifier in LO, so I suppose the extra distraction of all that other stuff paid off.
    Nice! Glad you got a good run.

User Tag List