Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
I think speed is the least convincing reason to point shoot - you gain almost nothing in time and lose quite a bit in accuracy. But point shooting can be advantageous when working around concealment, cover, or obstacles. Examples:

Discreetly aiming a pistol while it is still in your pocket.

Aiming/shooting with the gun under the table.

Aiming/shooting around a corner -- bonus carnival trick-shot points if you use the corner mirror behind you to locate the target

I don't disagree- Rule of Cool and all that. But why shoot from under the table? Or through a pocket? Or make a trick shot? Time. To get the first shot off faster than the other guy. Even if you get that time and speed by misdirection to catch the other guy flat footed. Or hit him from an unexpected direction.

Point shooting (in the game- I'm not arguing for point shooting in real life scenarios because to do so would be me swerving out of my lane and into oncoming traffic) is about beating your foe to the draw. About blasting the bad guy while rolling around in the dirt, belly to belly. It's about a risky trade of precision for an edge to get in the first attack before your foe can kill or subdue you. Do you take your time to make a sure shot at the risk your foe will strike first? Or do you shoot from the hip/under the table/inside a pocket to get in the first attack with a greater risk of missing? (It's also about getting players to burn through their ammo quicker.) Point shooting is about making a ranged attack before the other guy can make their attack.