Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Semi newbie gun owner with hand me down weapon

So it is a 38 special

Ok so I have been talking to my dad and he finally found the stamp. The guesses here were right, this is a 38 special. The only thing I dont have now is the serial. I dont want to bug my dad again about it. I have been doing as much research as I can and have found interesting pic and reviews. I guess the maker of the gun gifted " the duke" with a special set. Interesting history this gun has. I am happy to become its new owner. I wanted to once again thank everyone. You were all very helpful and kind to this gun virgin and I appreciate it. I now feel a little more at ease as to what I inherited.

That is probably all to the good. A .38 SAA is heavy, smaller holes in barrel and cylinder scaled for .45, but that keeps the recoil down and ammunition is more common and less expensive... usually.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

thats good to know thank you.

I have the serial now.

I managed to get the serial # off of the gun...its 14582. I have no idea if this matters to anyone or not but I wanted to share my last piece of info.

Quote Originally Posted by barnyfife View Post
    I managed to get the serial # off of the gun...its 14582. I have no idea if this matters to anyone or not but I wanted to share my last piece of info.
    Per the Great Western Arms Collector website that puts it between 1956 and 1958 and per the conversation I had with Sack Peterson about my .44 Special HERE it’s probably a 1956. The ‘56-‘58 models seem to be the best regarded from what I’ve read.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I dont have time to look into the details at the moment, but heres this

https://greatwesternarmsco.com/produ...-serial-guide/

Theres a wiki site about them and another factory type site, just google Great Western single action revolvers
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

That is what I have been trying to do is research this now that I have all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Per the Great Western Arms Collector website that puts it between 1956 and 1958 and per the conversation I had with Sack Peterson about my .44 Special HERE it’s probably a 1956. The ‘56-‘58 models seem to be the best regarded from what I’ve read.
    That's just what I needed. Another forum with a wildcat page...
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

OK so I understand the " hair trigger" a little better. I found a video talking about single action revolvers and it explained that they have a lighter trigger. I am now thinking its no different then any other. Always thought it was due to it being a quick draw pistol.....am I correct ?

OK so I understand the " hair trigger" a little better. I found a video talking about single action revolvers and it explained that they have a lighter trigger. I am now thinking its no different then any other. Always thought it was due to it being a quick draw pistol.....am I correct ?
    Single actions (semi or revolver) tend to have much lighter triggers than other action types. Without experience the numbers probably won't mean much but typically in the 2 to 4.5 pound range. With a single action the trigger pull only needs to release the sear to let the hammer drop as opposed to having to cock the hammer, striker, or whatever. With less work to perform the pull is lighter, shorter, and crisper.

User Tag List