Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Semi newbie gun owner with hand me down weapon

Site Supporter
    https://singleactions.proboards.com

A lot of information and experts here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great Western made a fast draw specific model

If they were still $89.95 I'd be buying 2 a week until I had the whole blanking set and then I'd start on a spare for each...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Not if you were getting paid at 1962 rates.

A fast draw competitor commonly had "a pair and a spare." One to "shoot" one in reserve, and one in the shop.
    Fast draw with slam cocking or fanning is abusive to the gun.

The OP needs to get the gun to somebody who knows what he is looking at.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

UPDATE: OK I have been able to do some research and this gun is a great western arms from the 50's. I just wanted to let you know what I have found so far.

Good; at one time Great Western was all there was for a SA.

If you are worried about the "hair trigger", try to line up a trigger pull gauge to see what it really is.
    As said, a 2.5-3.5 lb crisp trigger on a revolver would be perfectly normal even though it would feel touchy to somebody used to a plastic staple gun. NRA minimum trigger pull for Distinguished Revolver competition is 2.5 lbs. When I was shooting PPC the minimum single action pull was 2 lbs but nearly everybody was shooting DA all the time. My Smith & Wessons run 3 - 3.5 lbs.
    Paladin's one ounce trigger or anything close to it would be hazardous and would call for gunsmith correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Not if you were getting paid at 1962 rates.
    Bah, I’m talking about 1962 prices at today’s wages. Anything else is just silly talk!😁

If I remember I’ll measure the trigger pull on my GW .44 Special soon(TM).

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

What a great memento to have of your family. Hope you post more info.

(This may sound Macgyverish and rudimentary, but if you don’t have a trigger gauge (I don’t) it’s possible to estimate trigger pull weight with an empty gallon water jug. You tie a length of paracord and hang the empty jug over the trigger, while securing the gun in a padded vise or similar. Pour water in carefully until the trigger breaks. The weight of water is the an approximation of the trigger pull (a gallon of water is about 8 lbs.). Just an idea, since OP indicated he was concerned about the trigger weight).

Related to this gun, I have a question. My New Model Ruger SA revolver had (I believe it’s called) a transfer bar, meaning it was safe hammer down with 6 loaded. Is it a consideration for the OP in this case? I.e. Do these Great West Revolvers have this issue?

No, Great Westerns are just like a Colt. No transfer bar so load 1, skip 1, load 4 and the hammer rests on the empty chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    (This may sound Macgyverish and rudimentary, but if you don’t have a trigger gauge (I don’t) it’s possible to estimate trigger pull weight with an empty gallon water jug. You tie a length of paracord and hang the empty jug over the trigger, while securing the gun in a padded vise or similar. Pour water in carefully until the trigger breaks. The weight of water is the an approximation of the trigger pull (a gallon of water is about 8 lbs.). Just an idea, since OP indicated he was concerned about the trigger weight).

Related to this gun, I have a question. My New Model Ruger SA revolver had (I believe it’s called) a transfer bar, meaning it was safe hammer down with 6 loaded. Is it a consideration for the OP in this case? I.e. Do these Great West Revolvers have this issue?
    1. Good idea. If the OP can get the amount of water required in volume measure, pints ("A pint's a pound, the world around." or 16 2/3 oz Avd.) and ounces, that will be close enough for discussion.

2. New Model Rugers with transfer bars came out in the 1970s, the Great Western was a product of the 1950s and had Colt type clockwork. Safe only with an empty chamber under the hammer. Most GWs have frame mounted firing pins but some had the firing pin on the hammer, just like a Colt... because they used Colt hammers on early guns and upon request later.

No transfer bar so load 1, skip 1, load 4 and the hammer rests on the empty chamber.
    You have to do it right, though. After the last round, don't move the cylinder. Just close the loading gate, bring the hammer to full cock and ease it down on the empty chamber. If you nudge the cylinder into an extra click, you will land on a cartridge.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 08-04-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Interesting info. Yes i learned from my granddad to keep one under the hammer empty...he called it a safty for revolvers. I plan to keep it unloaded unless i plan on taking it to shoot it. I have my mp shield that I keep loaded at all times at home.

User Tag List