Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Semi newbie gun owner with hand me down weapon

Ok I did have a pic I took when I first got it here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What caliber is it? Did I miss that part?

My off the top of my head guess, if its not a Colt, and Im thinking it probably isnt, is that its a Great Western make. They made guns in the 50s. I recall various reviews and have seen a few. Keith mentions them in his book Sixguns, the first ones seemed to have some issues which were later resolved to some degree.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

ITs a 38, just not sure if its cal or what.

OK, most likely a 38 special. Both Colt and Great Western made 38 special single actions. If its not clearly marked, it may be a 357 magnum, 38 specials are generally shot in 357s for less noisy and cheaper shooting.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Great Western usually has the caliber on the left side of the barrel (left side, as you're pointing it at a target). They made .38, .357, and .357 Atomic.

https://greatwesternarmsco.com/calibers/357-atomic/

As far as getting it worked on, I would start with Cowboy Action shooters or forums.

Too bad the belt loop for the holster is torn. I'd look it over carefully for makers markings as well.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I am just waiting to get the gun back, but as I recall ( for the short time I had it) I saw no markings on it.........My dad kept the gun in its holster and parts are tarnished ......or is somehow faded......Either way its a beautiful gun and worth keeping, firing it would be the dream, but its not worth it if I cant get it looked at. I am going to western shooting forums and see if the cowboys can tell me more. I appreciate everything you have had to add and I am pointed in the right direction....thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    What caliber is it? Did I miss that part?

My off the top of my head guess, if its not a Colt, and Im thinking it probably isnt, is that its a Great Western make. They made guns in the 50s. I recall various reviews and have seen a few. Keith mentions them in his book Sixguns, the first ones seemed to have some issues which were later resolved to some degree.
    I suspect that you might be right. A look at the hammer face would probably be a strong indicator if markings are scarce.

https://gundigest.com/more/classic-g...rst-colt-clone

Quote Originally Posted by barnyfife View Post
    I am just waiting to get the gun back, but as I recall ( for the short time I had it) I saw no markings on it.........My dad kept the gun in its holster and parts are tarnished ......or is somehow faded......Either way its a beautiful gun and worth keeping, firing it would be the dream, but its not worth it if I cant get it looked at. I am going to western shooting forums and see if the cowboys can tell me more. I appreciate everything you have had to add and I am pointed in the right direction....thanks.

The markings are quite likely in very fine size font. Unless you were specifically looking for markings it would be easy to miss them on a casual observation. Let us know when you get it back in hand and can fill in some more blanks. It will be interesting to know, and its a good story to have with the gun. Even if the gun isnt particularly rare or valuable, such as a first gen Colt, its a cool bit of family history that you can quite likely shoot and enjoy.
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-02-2020 at 04:18 PM.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Had a thought, what you are calling a "hair trigger" may or may not be within normal range for the type. If the only thing you have to compare it to is a double action revolver or other type with heavy trigger pull weight, this will seem very light. Single actions are fine in the 3 1/2 pound pull weight range, which is much lighter than many other type guns commonly come with. If in fact its been modified and is scary light, it can be changed, either with replacing parts or working on the existing parts depending on how much theyve been modified.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

When I say hair trigger. Its a quick draw gun so its made to fire more rapid I think. He did western shows and quick draw shows with it. I am certain that it is not just a show gun though, many have suggested that to me. You really dont need to put much pressure before the hammer falls. The only gun I can match it to is my 40 cal S&w MP shield my wife and I got for home protection, which has medium pull.

User Tag List