Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi newbie gun owner with hand me down weapon

Semi newbie gun owner with hand me down weapon

Hello everyone. I have recently been handed down a quick draw 38 used in cowboy shows. It was my grand fathers and I know nothing about this gun. My father does not either he was one who got it first then he handed it to me. This 38 has a hair trigger. Now I have a two part question. 1 how can I figure out what make and model it it and if its cal or mag....and can I fix the trigger so its not so dangerous to have loaded due to the hair trigger. I was going to buy a trigger lock for it. I thank you for your time.

I’d start by posting a few pictures and writing down every possible letter and number you can see on it. We don’t know if it’s double or single, manufacturer et al.

If you want a cheap defensive revolver I’d just go buy a used 4 inch K frame rather than dicking with this one. You have no idea what was done to the innards.

Welcome.

Post a picture.

Paging @Malamute and @Hizzie.

Welcome!

As Oukaapie said, post pics and I imagine someone here will have some info very quickly for you.

But since you are unfamiliar with guns, I would highly suggest you find a gunsmith to at least have a look over the piece before you contemplate loading it. At the very least, find someone who shoots handguns to go over how to properly handle a revolver.

ETA: if it was used in trick shooting, there is a good chance it is set up to use shot loads, not "normal" ammo, and it is probably best if you just think of it as a nonfunctional family heirloom. Or perhaps it is worth some $$$. With pics, one of the real experts here can guide you.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

“Cowboy shows”

Sounds like a single action revolver. The “hair trigger” probably is within specification but would seem really light to someone unfamiliar with them. Pics would be the most helpful. The manufacturer and caliber should be stamped on the barrel and/or frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I can do all that

I will take a pic Its in perfect working order otherwise as my grand father was meticulously OCD about his guns. I will gather more info for you guys soon. For the record I am familiar with gun handling. I have a short 22 cal rifle that loads one at a time that I got at 7 and was trained to shoot a 22 revolver. I grew up in the south so guns were around me. I however have never owned or handled anything with power. I wil let you guys know more info when I get the gun back. I thank you for all your help.
    Last edited by barnyfife; 08-02-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    ETA: if it was used in trick shooting, there is a good chance it is set up to use shot loads, not "normal" ammo
    Or wax bullets powered by just the primer
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by barnyfife View Post
    I will take a pic Its in perfect working order otherwise as my grand father was meticulously OCD about his guns. I will gather more info for you guys soon. For the record I am familiar with gun handling. I have a short 22 cal rifle that loads one at a time that I got at 7 and was trained to shoot a 22 revolver. I grew up in the south so guns were around me. I however have never owned or handled anything with power. I wil let you guys know more info when I get the gun back. I thank you for all your help.
    The best option would be to take the gun to a gunsmith for an evaluation of its condition and a professional assessment as to whether it is safe to shoot.

That was my plan, but I am having a hard time finding a person here in vegas. I called gun stores and nobody had any idea who was a trusted gunsmith here. This gun is pretty old. I would say 60 plus ......would it be better to find a gunsmith that deals with old fire arms ? or does it matter ?
    Last edited by barnyfife; 08-02-2020 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by barnyfife View Post
    That was my plan, but I am having a hard time finding a person here in vegas. I called gun stores and nobody had any idea who was a trusted gunsmith here. This gun is pretty old. I would say 60 plus ......would it be better to find a gunsmith that deals with old fire arms ? or does it matter ?

Knowing exactly what make and actual type will go a long ways towards giving better answers. Many gunsmiths that have been in the business quite a while may still be relatively unfamiliar with traditional type single action revolvers and how they function, and whats safe or how to correct them beyond simply replacing parts, which could be problematic if its a long out of production gun.

Any info on markings and pics you can provide will help.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List